Come Unto Me

I have been reading through the Bible over a period of the last couple of years. I've done the Read-The-Bible-Through-In-A-Year plan in the past, but to be honest, I'm not really a fan of it. You have to read so many chapters at once to be able to finish in a year, and you end up glossing over some really good stuff in the process! Anyway, I'm in Jeremiah for my daily devotions these days, and while overall it has been a blessing, I sometimes find it hard to get excited about turning there for my daily reading.

Today was one of those days.

Noah awoke at 6am crying and never went back to bed, which meant my exercise time went out the window AND I had a tired, cranky 2-year-old on my hands. I sat down to read my Bible during his roomtime, and gave an attempt to read Jeremiah. Let me emphasize the word attempt. After reading the same chapter twice with no effect except to become frustrated at the sound of Noah whining downstairs, I flipped open my concordance to try to find the following passage:

"Come to Me, all who are weary and heavy-laden, and I will give you rest. Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For My yoke is easy and My burden is light." Matt 11:28-30

Rest. Gentle. Humble. Easy. Light. Soothing words, those! None of what was roiling around inside of me was any of those things. Christ calls us to learn from Him; he who is gentle and humble. I had to start with humbling myself by taking myself off the throne of my own desires and selfishness and trust myself to God. And He made good on His promise! His burden really is light, and I was so thankful to be refreshed in His Word this morning.

My day has not gotten any easier, but somehow it's not as heavy to bear either. Praise the Lord!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Resolving Everyday Conflict

The Hand of God

The Whole Truth