Not a Dog Person


If there was any doubt left in my mind about me not being a Dog Person, this week has erased all doubts. I'm just not. Let me back up...


Josh has been wanting a dog for a Long Time. Especially since we had Noah, he thought a dog would be so much fun and has been talking about it off and on. Last weekend Mr. Bundy mentioned that there was a stray dog that had been frequenting their house, and that we could have him if we wanted him. He was a good dog, and a small one. Definitely a mutt, but it looked like a mix between Jack Russell Terrier and Beagle.


Josh asked me what I thought, so I told him the following: I'm not a dog person. I'd be the one that would have to take care of the dog since Josh is gone all day long and Noah is so young. I'm not a dog person. It is a lot of work to have a dog. I'm not a dog person. Have I mentioned I'm not a dog person? :) You get the idea.


Josh was so set on this opportunity to have a little dog, that we finally decided to compromise: we'd take the dog on a trial basis for one week and evaluate after the week was over. Fair enough! That was Monday.


Five days later, we are dogless!!! And the decision was totally mutual, Praise the Lord! Josh and I both had had ENOUGH of this dog. Let me give you his good points before I tell you why we have decided that a dog is not for us, at least not now:


His Good Points:

1. He was cute

2. He was small

3. By most people's standards, he was a pretty good dog as dogs go.

4. He was friendly and not vicious

5. He didn't beg at the table

6. He was house-trained


And now, the deciding factors as to why he didn't even make it a week in our house:

1. He chewed up at least 3 toys of Noah's, and 2 of my colored pencils, despite having chew toys that we provided him.

2. I had to take care of him.

3. He didn't know any of the standard "sit," "lie down," "come," commands that would make dog ownership pleasant, and I was the one who would have to teach him, among the other daily things I do such as potty training Noah. It was just overwhelming.

4. Josh didn't have very much time to play with him.

5. He barked sometimes at night, which woke me up a couple times.

6. (And this was the last straw; the deciding factor that made us decide that he HAD to go) This morning he puked on my carpet that I JUST had professionally cleaned a month ago. He did this while I was exercising and I had to use the rest of my allotted exercise time cleaning up Dog Puke. That was it. I figure I'm going to have to clean up enough vomit in my lifetime that I don't need to add a dog's to the equation. :)


Josh totally agreed. We've been able to laugh about it a little bit today, which is good and reassures me that we are on the same page again at least for now:


This Rowley household is officially Dog-Free and we couldn't be happier! :)

Comments

Ruth said…
I'm in the same boat in that I am NOT NOT NOT a dog person and Paul loves dogs and wants a dog some day especially for Nadia. So far he's agreed that since I'd be the one caring for the dog, and I'm not a dog person, we don't need to get one yet. I have a feeling though some year a dog will be living here. Glad you are dog free for now! :-)

Popular posts from this blog

Resolving Everyday Conflict

The Hand of God

The Whole Truth