Christmas Adventure

From Monday to Wednesday all it did was rain (I think we had 8 inches or something crazy like that) and then Thursday--Christmas Day--we went to look at some land. We decided since we didn't have other plans, that we would take the whole family in Josh's Honda Pilot up to look at a 12-acre parcel of land that Josh had been considering for purchase.  We had heard that about a third of this land was considered "wet lands" and, well, they were right.  I'm sure all that rain didn't help. :)

We parked on a section of the swamp road just on the edge of the woods where this parcel began.  We got out.  We rolled up our pants and waded through the woods, about ankle-deep in water. We looked around.  After a little while, we decided we had seen enough and were ready to go home.  We got back in our vehicle, prepared to empty out our shoes and wring out our socks.  Josh put the car in reverse, backed up, and then tried to go forward.  Our tires spun and a shower of mud splattered across our windshield and my passenger door, and I knew things were about to get ugly.




(Thankfully, the Lord helped me to keep a sunny attitude despite these problems.  Without that, this whole story would have been much, much worse. Praise the Lord for little victories!)

Josh got out and confirmed that we weren't going anywhere soon. We put Noah on the task of cutting palmetto branches to wedge under the tires for traction, Josh got out his come-along (surely there's a better name for this?) and began hooking it up, and I tried to keep Seth calm (who was highly unhappy with his wet pant-legs).  Then Josh had me work the crank with the strap while he tried to accelerate the car forward, and I was laughing hysterically as the tires showered me with mud this time.  I was covered head to foot in mud, and it was only the grace of God that enabled me to laugh.  Normal Jo would not have been amused.  Mud was everywhere, even in my ear!

Two hours and one kind neighbor with a chain later, and we were finally on the way home.  I doubt I'll ever forget Christmas 2014, but they will be fond memories.  Bonding time with my family, and the closest to mudding that I ever care to get.  Can't beat it!

Comments

Ruth said…
Definitely an unforgettable Christmas! Yikes! That's awesome you were able to laugh about all that mud. :)
Carrie said…
This post would have been much better if it would have included a picture of you covered in mud. Thankful for victories! Merry Christmas!

Popular posts from this blog

Resolving Everyday Conflict

The Hand of God

The Whole Truth