Very Punny

I don't know where I picked up my love of a good pun, but I know my sister Lori can appreciate them too. I'm not so much a fan of the contrived ones; the ones that make you groan they're so corny. My favorites are the ones that the speaker did not intend to be funny, but just are in an accidental sort of way.

Josh is my supplier of a good pun, and the best part is, he usually has no idea what he has said until I start laughing and point it out. Two examples from recent history:

Noah and Josh were talking about the cut that Josh had acquired on his finger earlier that day at work. They were discussing the wisdom of being careful around sharp tools, and what happens if you're not. Josh said, "You really have to be careful you don't get a cut, because that's not fun any way you slice it." Tee hee!

Josh leads the singing at our church on Sunday nights. We had experienced microphone volume difficulties that morning, and Josh was expressing his thankfulness that those issues had been resolved. Turning to a man on the front row, Josh said, "It's always good to have amplification, right Mike?" Oh, my.

I was the only one who laughed. I looked around at everyone else, certain that somebody had heard what I did. Nope. Everyone else was just calmly waiting for Josh to announce the hymn.

C'mon, it was funny!

Right, Lori?

Comments

Unknown said…
Our brains are wired for words, and word pictures.

Popular posts from this blog

Resolving Everyday Conflict

The Hand of God

The Whole Truth