Give Me A Minute

The longer I spend as a mother, the more I am aware of just how much sacrifice and love my own mother gave for me.

Saturday morning, 7:12am: Noah comes pitter-pattering in to our master bedroom, where Josh and I are blissfully asleep.

Noah, whispering as loudly as he can: "Mommy. It's time to get up! Can you set me up for a video?"

Me, seriously rethinking my decision to stay up until 11:30 last night watching Ben-Hur (and the chariot race scene of all things!): "Okay. But I just need a minute."

10 seconds later, Noah: "Has it been a minute yet?"

Me: "No."

8 seconds later, Noah: "How about now?"

Me, giving up: "Okay, I'm getting up."

I stumble into the living room and pop in a dvd for Noah so that I can take a shower in peace, the whole time having flashbacks of similar mornings from my childhood. Only I was the impatient kid who couldn't understand why adults "need a minute" before they bound out of bed.

I'm so sorry, Mom!

My poor mother. She worked hard all week long, and then *maybe* stayed awake long enough to watch 20/20 on a Friday night, only to be woken up by an energetic 6-year-old at 6:30am on Saturday morning. I have vivid memories of saying, "Come on, Mom! Let's go make breakfast" and her, with still-closed eyes whispering, "I just need a minute. Be still."

Mom, for the record, if I could go back in time I'd give you all the "minutes" you need. I understand now what it's like to need a minute. Hopefully someday Noah will too! :)

Comments

Ruth said…
And your mom was a lot older than you are now when you were 6 years old. So it had to be even harder on her. I for one would be thrilled to stay in bed until 7:00am. That's my dream; that someday the kids won't get up before 7am. Nadia now stays in bed until 7am (sometimes even 7:30!!!), but with Ian I'm lucky to be in bed past 5:45am.
cj and family said…
I echo Ruth ... Hannah's happy to snooze till 7:45 or so on Saturdays. Peter ... not so much. 6:30 anyone?

Popular posts from this blog

Resolving Everyday Conflict

The Hand of God

The Whole Truth