The Biggest Bear

In children's literature, I find more and more that the Oldies are truly the Goodies. Some time ago, I sang the praises of Blueberries for Sal, by Robert McCloskey. A couple of weeks ago I stumbled upon The Biggest Bear, by Lynd Ward, which was exponentially more delightful to my guns-and-adventure infatuated son.

Sure, the pictures are in "glorious black and white" (does that phrase make anyone else smile? I think it's hilarious to read that on a dvd, as if black and white is what I would choose.). But the story is so dear, and the illustrations. are. beautiful. I don't care how old you are, run to your library and reserve yourself a copy of The Biggest Bear. You'll be so glad you did.

Noah will tell you that he knows how to read. He'll swear it to you. What he really knows how to do is memorize. Someday he'll learn the difference, but for now, here are a couple video snips of him reading (reciting) from The Biggest Bear. I took about 6 videos for my own future enjoyment, but I'll just pick one or two for the blog. Loading videos on here is not exactly my favorite thing to do. You could write and illustrate your own children's book in the time it takes to load videos. But that's another topic...



Comments

Melanie said…
That is soooo cute! :) He is so cute! I bet he really will be reading before you know it.
Ruth said…
Another old (1932) book I've grown to love recently is Ask Mr. Bear.

Popular posts from this blog

Resolving Everyday Conflict

The Hand of God

The Whole Truth