The Trinity Hymnal

When I was growing up, our home church used the Trinity Hymnal in its worship services. For my birthday this year, my mom got me one after she heard me say I wanted a copy of my own! I've been looking through it over the last several days, and hymns I haven't sung in years are coming back to me. Tunes I didn't think I remembered are pushing their way to the front of my mind. It goes to show that things learned as a little child tend to stick with you for life.

These songs are meaty, too! By "meaty" I mean chock-full of rich spiritual thoughts. No fluff here!! Here's one we used to sing all the time (#79 if you want to look it up!). It is sung to the tune of "Immortal, Invisible, God Only Wise":

Though troubles assail us, and dangers afright,
Though friends should all fail us, and foes all unite,
Yet one thing secures us, whatever betide,
The promise assures us, "The Lord will provide."

The birds, without garner or storehouse are fed,
From them let us learn to trust God for our bread;
His saints what is fitting shall ne'er be denied
So long as 'tis written, "The Lord will provide."

When Satan assails us to stop up our path,
And courage all fails us, we triumph by faith.
He cannot take from us, though oft he has tried,
This heart-cheering promise, "The Lord will provide."

No strength of our own, and no goodness we claim;
Yet, since we have known of the Saviour's great Name,
In this our strong tower for safety we hide:
The Lord is our power, "The Lord will provide."

Comments

cj and family said…
Thanks for sharing! What beautiful words and an excellent reminder!
Ruth said…
I don't think I've ever heard that hymn although I've certainly sung the tune Immortal, Invisible many times.

Popular posts from this blog

Resolving Everyday Conflict

The Hand of God

The Whole Truth