Now And Later

It's summer time, and little kids (at least mine) tend to spend the entire season with bumps, bruises, scrapes, and cuts all over every square inch of skin that is not covered with clothing. Right now, for example, there is a purple bruise by Noah's eye, another on his cheek, and several cuts on his hands and legs.

It is at this time that I am reminded yet again that not everything that is good for us feels good at the time. The best thing for these cuts would be to clean them with alcohol. All I have to do is mention "alcohol" and Noah turns into a screaming meemie, begging and pleading with me not to use it. He's more concerned with how alcohol will feel now. I am more concerned with the healing process and that alcohol will make it feel better later.

I think to some extent it's the same with God. He in His sovereignty sees that our trials now, though very painful, will work good for us (or Him) later.

"But, Lord, it hurts now."

"But think how beautifully Christlike you will be later!"

And I have to take a deep breath and ask the Lord for strength to bear the pain now, trusting Him that He's right and good.

Like Noah with his cuts being cleaned with alcohol, I have a hard time.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Resolving Everyday Conflict

The Hand of God

The Whole Truth