Blueberries For Sal, by Robert McCloskey

Blueberries For Sal, in my opinion, illustrates why a classic is a classic. This children's book was published in 1948, and I found it in our library last week, in April of 2010. I thought, "Hmmm... a book that is 62 years old still on the shelves? We'll give it a try."

Folks, this is one of the best books ever! I didn't have high hopes for it, since the illustrations weren't even in color--oh come ON!--and there appeared to be too many words per page. Ever read to a two-year-old? The word/picture ratio has got to be small, and the picture/word ratio has got to be large. Or else. Or else you'll be reading the book to yourself while your two-year-old has moved on to greener pastures. :)

Blueberries For Sal managed to capture Noah's attention, and he's asked for it several times since that first reading. What a great book!

Read it! You'll love it!

(pssst. Go look for a copy even if you don't have kids. I think you'll smile.)

Comments

Ruth said…
He's an excellent author. As time goes by hopefully you'll be able to read some of his other books to Noah also! I can't wait until Nadia's attention span for books is a bit longer as there are sooo many wonderful books out there that I want to read to her!!! In case I don't "talk" to you again before you leave, have a great trip!!!
I LOVE that book! I read it to my class every year! It is one of my favorite books. I also enjoy One Morning in Maine and Make Way for Ducklings--both by the same author!

Popular posts from this blog

Resolving Everyday Conflict

The Hand of God

The Whole Truth