Cool, Clear Water

My friend Carrie gave me a book a while ago titled What Do I Know About My God? by Mardi Collier. It's an excellent book really, all about an idea for studying the Bible. I read it cover to cover during our IVF process, and it was so so good and helpful to me (and I didn't even do the study at that time!). At the beginning of this year I decided to take Mrs. Collier's suggestions and start a notebook all about God. It has changed the way I read my Bible, and the way I listen to sermons! I would highly recommend this book.

Currently I'm reading in Deuteronomy, and I had to "camp out" so to speak in chapters 6-8, there was so much good stuff there! I'm learning how constantly kind and gracious my God is, and how simple his plan for a successful life is. Bottom line; if you obey God you will have His blessing, and if you disobey God you will have His opposition. There seems to be a direct correllation. Also I am struck by the enduring faithfulness of God. He continues to love us even when we are the most unlovely, stubborn people because he promised he would!

"The LORD did not set His love on you nor choose you because you were more in number than any of the peoples, for you were the fewest of all peoples, but because the LORD loved you and kept the oath which He swore to your forefathers, the LORD brought you out by a mighty hand and redeemed you from the house of slavery..." Deut 7:7-8

No wonder He is referred to as our Strong Tower and our Rock in which we hide! Unchanging. Faithful. Loving. Patient.

Oh! to be like Thee, full of compassion,
Loving, forgiving, tender and kind,
Helping the helpless, cheering the fainting,
Seeking the wand’ring sinner to find.

Oh! to be like Thee, oh! to be like Thee,
Blessed Redeemer, pure as Thou art;
Come in Thy sweetness, come in Thy fullness;
Stamp Thine own image deep on my heart.

Comments

Shelly said…
Jo, is Mardi Collier (or was) she a professor at Northland? Do you happen to know if she lost her husband years ago? If so, I heard her speak at a ladies conference on "notebooking" all the things you learn about God by topics as you read through the bible. If this is the same lady, I will definitely want to pick up this book!
Joanna said…
Shelly, I don't know about her being a professor at Northland. She's very connected with The Wilds. Here's the bio info on the back of the book:

"A popular speaker for women's conferences, Mardi emphasizes that right thinking is the cornerstone of godly living.

"Mardi Collier has been active in ladies ministries for many years, both in her church and at THE WILDS Christian Camp and Conference Center in Brevard, NC, where her husband Ken serves as director. The Colliers, frequent speakers for workshops, banquets, and retreats, have four children and four grandchildren."

I don't know if that answers your question?
Shelly said…
Yup, that answers the question - I have heard her name before, and that's probably why I thought it was the same lady, but this isn't the same one I was thinking of. I'll have to ask around and see if I can dig up "my lady's" name. Thanks, Jo!
Carrie said…
Mardi has not lost her husband...I think you may be thinking of Carol Trahan from NBBC. I didn't know she had a book out though. I had her for a few classes while a student there.
You still should definately pick up the book!!!!
Shelly said…
Carol Trahan! Yes! That's her! Wow, that's really been bothering me! Thank you, thank you! I have no idea if she has a book out or not, but she certainly should write one if she hasn't! She was such an excellent speaker, I'm sure a book she'd write would be wonderful! You are so blessed, Carrie, to have had her as a teacher!

Popular posts from this blog

Resolving Everyday Conflict

The Hand of God

The Whole Truth