Tuesdays with Caleb


Every Tuesday for 4 1/2 hours, I babysit a little boy with Down Syndrome named Caleb (pictured above). While I love to help out my neighbor (whose son he is), and have extra spending money (I make $25 a week), it has become a trial. Unless he is being fed or taking a nap, he is crying! I haven't gotten the courage to ask his mom if this is just me, or is he always this way? How do you ask a mother if her child is just perpetually miserable? :)


I think she was hoping that being around Noah would be a good thing, since Noah is almost ready to walk (that's a whole other post) and she's hoping he will help Caleb with his development. Plus, it's good for babies to be around other babies. But Caleb is afraid of Noah, and nothing I have been able to do has helped.


Hopefully soon I can figure out what will work and get these two playing together!


Comments

Carrie said…
I would suggest asking the mom how he likes to lay, play...what she does with him when he's fussy (but not hungry). You might want to have a playdate at her house so you can see how she interacts with him.
When I kid sat it was hard to let them cry but it's ok to tend to your own kid as well. I hope it works out. Enjoy having your mom around.

Popular posts from this blog

Resolving Everyday Conflict

The Hand of God

The Whole Truth