"A" Is for Apple Crisp

Today we were supposed to go to the zoo, but a girl can change her mind. Especially when the weatherman was forecasting today to be a full 5 degrees hotter than anticipated earlier in the week. This wouldn't make the difference if you were talking about the range between, say, 72 and 77 degrees. Beautiful is beautiful. But when you're talking the difference between 88 and 93...

Well, would you want to walk around a hot zoo with a hot 3-year-old, looking at hot animals who are all too hot to do anything but sleep, only to get back in your roasting hot car where the hot seatbelt buckles sizzle your fingers?

I rest my case.

And, since we didn't get to it yesterday, I thought today would be the perfect day to get out

The Cookbook!
Mom, do you remember this? I purchased this darling cookbook at school with Good Behavior Tickets I earned in the 4th grade. I've loved it so much that the cover has fallen off, and there are food spots on several pages, as well as (weirdly enough) the lyrics to a silly kids' song that I wrote in my scrawly 4th-grade-cursive. I'm guessing I thought the song was so important that I didn't ever want to forget the words? "Did you ever see a bear combing his hair down by the bay? Did you ever see a goose kissing a moose down by the bay?" Yes, folks, those were the words. I'm 30 years old and I still can't forget them, thanks to my own unspeakable foresight when I was 10 years old. I'm so glad I did that!

Anyway.

Other than those lyrics, there are also 26 recipes; one for every letter in the alphabet. I thought this would be a perfect cookbook to use with Noah as we journey our way through the alphabet. In case you were wondering, the recipe for "A" is Apple Crisp. Only I like apple cobbler better, so we really made that. But don't tell Noah, because he thinks we made Apple Chris. That's too cute to correct for now, don't you think? Me too.

Here's Noah holding the recipe up for you to see:
Please ignore the mess in the background. Though if I had really wanted you to ignore it, I should never have mentioned it. Oh well.
And here is Noah washing the apples before I peeled and cut them all up:

Measuring sugar. This is the face he made after I told him to smile "normally." Lately when I ask him to smile, he gives me this crunched-up-highly-exaggerated smile that really looks more like a grimace. (See above pic and imagine it 10x more crinkled than that.) I think next time I'll just go with it, since this "normal" smile isn't much better. :)
The finished product will be our dessert for tonight. If I can remember to take pictures of that, you'll get to see what it looked like! Here's our recipe, courtesy of my mother-in-law.

Apple Cobbler (Shhhh, I mean Apple Crisp)

bunch of apples (5? 6? Depends on the size of the apples. Fill up the pan.)
1 stick of butter, melted
1 egg
1 C flour
1 C sugar
cinnamon, to taste

Peel, core, and cut up apples. Arrange in 8x8" pan. Sprinkle liberally with cinnamon. Combine the butter, egg, flour, and sugar in a bowl, and pour over apples. Bake at 350 for 1 hour.



Comments

Carrie said…
I Love that song "Did you ever see a fly wearing a tie? Did you ever see a whale with a poka dot tail? down by the bay..."
We were making apple pies last night, 3 of them and all of a sudden my boys wanted to eat a bunch of apples, don't understand why they don't want them for snack but do when you need them in your pie. I peeled more than 10 and Mike cut them into pieces. It smelled so good. Hot 90 degree weather seems funny as we have been in pants and jackets in the morning. Fall is in the air here. Have a great B week!

Popular posts from this blog

Resolving Everyday Conflict

The Hand of God

The Whole Truth