Getting to Know God

Lately the Lord has been reminding me that I need to take time to get to know Him better. For those who don't know me well, or only see me at church (where I tend to put my best face forward, don't you?), the Real Me has struggles.

Don't be shocked, I'm sure you do too. We all do.

My biggest struggles are with fear, with anger, with discontent, with unthankfulness, with an unspeakable lack of wisdom...with unbelief.

Unbelief?

Yes. I'm learning that all of my pet sins are rooted in unbelief. Unbelief that God is sufficient, that He has provided me with all of my needs, and that whatever I'm going through at the moment--everything from a defiant toddler to a plumbing problem to the very good chance that I'll never have more children-- are His will for me right now.

Am I thankful? Are you?

I've been reading God Is More Than Enough by Jim Berg as the last in my Summer reading list, and it's so good. Steeped in Scripture. Also, as part of the Ladies' Meetings at Truth Baptist Church, we're going to study What Do I Know About My God, by Mardi Collier. Both of these books are great tools to refocus my heart on getting to know God better.

In my own personal devotions, I'm in Hebrews which has followed along with the themes of both books! Listen:

"Therefore I was angry with this generation, and said, 'They always go astray in their heart, and they did not know My ways'"

"Take care, brethren, that there not be in any one of you an evil, unbelieving heart that falls away from the living God. But encourage one another day after day, as long as it is still called 'Today', so that none of you will be hardened by the deceitfulness of sin."

"For we do not have a high priest who cannot sympathize with our weaknesses, but One who has been tempted in all things as we are, yet without sin. Therefore let us draw near with confidence to the throne of grace, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help in time of need." Heb 3:10, 12, 13; and Heb 4:15,16

God was angry with the people (of Israel) for having unbelieving hearts and for not knowing God! Believing lies about God (such as that He isn't always good, or isn't always in control, or that He won't provide my needs or that He won't forgive my sin) always leads to sin and to falling away from God.

With God's help this Fall, I'm getting to know Him better. I pray the same for you!

Comments

Carrie said…
I have been working on knowing God better to. In SS we have been doing "Quieting a noisy soul" We aren't there a lot b/c of travelling but I have been going through the pages that focus on the character of God. Before that I read a book called "Grace for every trial" by betty Henderson on the book of Job. Such a good study on Once Job learned more about his God he had a different view on everything that goes on. Hope you do learn more and can Trust God B/c he is completely trustworthy! I also just finished Nancy DeMoss' book "Choosing Gratitude" it has a 30 day study on things to thank God for..that really refocused me.
Susan Ogilvy said…
I have been silently reading your blog for a while now and have thought to comment a few times but this one I had to comment on.

I have been working on getting to know him again for a while.

I started a new blog not long ago to talk about how I was feeling and reading your blog today is the first time I thought maybe someone else feels the same.

You and Carrie are obviously more learned than I am on the word of God just by what I have seen on this page tonight I can tell that but even still it seems you share the struggles and insecurities with me.

Thank you Joanna for sharing.
Joanna said…
Thanks for chiming in, Opal! I pray that you would be encouraged in your study to know God better. A good way to do that is pray that God will illumine your mind as you read His Word, and then to read through your Bible, marking down everything you learn about Who God Is.

What Do I Know About My God, by Mardi Collier is a great book that will help you in such a study!

Popular posts from this blog

Resolving Everyday Conflict

The Hand of God

The Whole Truth