Things I Didn't Know

Off and running when we first got to the park



Climbing up the slide.
Picking up a fresh pine cone. (Did you know pine cones are HEAVY before they disperse their seeds?)

These photos are pretty characteristic of our time at the park these days. We go just about every day to give Noah a chance to burn some energy, for a change of scenery, and to meet other people (though many times when we go, we are the only people there). But this isn't really what I intended to post about!

I have been listing in my mind some of the things I didn't know about parenting that I'm finding out now in parenting an almost-one-year-old (if you couldn't tell before, I'll get it all out in the open: I am a List Person). Here goes in no particular order:

1. If you want to enjoy your "own" food, best eat it when the child is asleep. If he is awake, you can ALWAYS count on sharing it. Doesn't matter if you are eating liver and onions: if the child sees you with food, he's plastered himself on you and is mooching for "more". But who better to share with? :)

2. How many times a day I'd feel helplessly at a loss for what to do in regards to discipline. (In a store when you can't get away from the public eye. Or if I spank for fussing, will he know why I did? If I do spank for fussing, what if something is honestly wrong with him and he just can't tell me? This actually almost happened! Noah's foot was caught in the handle of the recliner, and I was just about to spank him because he wouldn't quit fussing when I saw his trapped foot: I felt terrible!)

3. That I could pick up the clutter and toys off the floor 20 times a day and it would never be Done.

4. That the smile or laugh of your own child is enough to melt your heart!

5. The thrill of accomplishment never gets old. I can still remember the exuberance I felt when I realized Noah had rolled over the first time. Rolled over! What a "simple" thing; something everybody can do, yet exciting still.

I'm sure there are more, and I may add them as I think of them, but for now I hear Noah awake up there and I can't wait to go get him. A new day awaits!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Resolving Everyday Conflict

The Hand of God

The Whole Truth