My Husband, My Best Friend

This post could get very sappy! Consider yourself warned. :)

Josh and I had the opportunity to go out on a date tonight, just the two of us. "Heavenly" doesn't begin to describe it! Let me back up...

It's our own fault that we haven't gone out before now. Several people in the church have offered on more than one occasion to watch Noah for us while we go out. Before now, I haven't wanted to "dump" him on anyone while we go out and "paint the town red". Plus, it's not like we don't like Noah! We love having him around! We never dread him keeping us company, and we aren't burdened by his presence. In light of these facts, it was easy to convince ourselves that we didn't need a night "off".

The Hildebrands at church kept telling us we should go out by ourselves and let them watch Noah. The Bennetts (in case you two are reading this!) also offered the same thing. But finally it came down to Melissa Hildebrand looking me square in the eyes and telling me, "You NEED to go out. Which day next week are you going to drop Noah at our house and go?" So you see we were left with no choice! :) I stammered, "Uh, well, how about Friday?" Later I told Josh that we had been "commanded" to go on a date, and I ran the date by him. He surprisingly said, "Ok!"

Since that time, I have been eagerly anticipating our Date Night. I have been planning what I would wear, what we would talk about, etc etc etc. And finally it was today! So tonight at 5:45pm we left Noah at the Hildebrands and off we went. We were headed to Cracker Barrell because it was a "known", but ended up next door at an Italian place. The food was excellent, but that's not what made it so special.

In over a year I have not had a single meal that was not interrupted in some way, or in which my food did not get cold before I had a chance to eat it. That all changed tonight. (I have tears in my eyes just reliving it!! It meant that much to me.) I was able for the first time in over a year, to look into my husband's eyes and talk and enjoy my food and take my time. It was wonderful. I had forgotten that Josh and I are actually Best Friends! We have so much to talk about and we love each other's company.

After dinner, we went to a property Josh owns and he showed me around room by room. And that was wonderful! We had quite the fiasco a couple weeks ago when he wanted to show me the property and we had Noah with us. I couldn't fully pay attention to what he was saying and it made him Not Happy. We both left frustrated. Well, tonight over dinner I suggested we go back and look around again. His eyes lit up! So we did, and we really enjoyed it. I asked all the questions I had, and he told me about all his plans for the house. We connected! :)

Then we went down to Riverside and got an ice cream cone and took a walk down by the river. Walked hand in hand (it's been over a year since we did that too!). Talked some more... I could go on and on about how much fun it was, but I'll stop there. Let me just say though that I think we'll start taking people up on their offers to watch Noah.

I love my son, but there's nothing like spending time with my best friend!! I remembered that tonight.

Comments

Ruth said…
Glad you had such a great time together! It's importanat to keep nurturing our relationships with our dh - for one thing some day it will likely be back to the two of you (empty nest). Glad you were commanded to go on a date, LOL!

Popular posts from this blog

Resolving Everyday Conflict

The Hand of God

The Whole Truth