Old "Friends"

I'm talking about books; those dear old friends of mine that I haven't kept up with and, quite frankly, I had forgotten how much I enjoy their company. It has probably been 10 months or more since I read a book! Oh, I've read excerpts from both baby advice books and spiritual help books, but no books that called me with their intriguing titles from their cozy stacks in the library. None that drew me into the story, daring me to put them down, knowing all the while I wouldn't be able to. And the thrill of words placed just so on a page! The ability some authors have of drawing an idea with words so expressively it fits just right, like the last piece in a jigsaw puzzle. To me, there's the same satisfying little "click" when you come across a well-written phrase. I've missed it! Over this holiday weekend I've had my appetite whetted again for the thrill of a book, as I picked up a novel and have read it almost completely through. I find that I have minutes available that I had been overlooking before~the minutes while I'm waiting for meat to thaw in the microwave, or the minutes just before I turn out the light and go to sleep. Even the minutes that I'm nursing Noah!

On Thursday, I brought Noah to the library and I enjoyed looking around for a little while. I've decided from now on I'll have to have an idea of what I want before I go, or else Noah gets Terribly Bored. I have to leave him in the stroller, and he doesn't exactly appreciate the shelves of books closing him in with nothing interesting to look at.

We had the Masittos over for dinner on Tuesday night, and Mrs. Masitto (who had 7 children!) told me that early on she began the habit of taking a nightly bath and reading a chapter in a book while she bathed. What a great idea! I don't think I'll do the soak in the tub (since strange things happen to my hair if I wash it right before I sleep on it), but a chapter a night sounds great! We'll see if I can keep it up. Even a chapter a WEEK would be a vast improvement over my previous reading habits. :)

What are you reading lately?

Comments

Ruth said…
I asked a friend from church to check out 2-3 books for me from the church library yesterday. She's doing some grocery shopping for us tomorrow and will bring me the books then. I find that I am more patient while nursing Nadia during the night if I read. Otherwise I tend to want to cut her short so I can get some sleep, but if I am hooked in a book then I will let her keep nursing as long as she wants to. I have 3 books that need to be returned, and Donna is going to take them back for me.
The Stewardess said…
I just read my first book in awhile over the weekend, too!

Popular posts from this blog

Resolving Everyday Conflict

The Hand of God

The Whole Truth