Losing Gracefully

Confession: I have let Noah win almost every game we have ever played.

This is bad, I discovered today, because now he has no idea how to lose gracefully. Neither does he have the desire to. He thinks he should win all the time. Oops.

Today we were racing to the car after some time at the park, and I decided to really run. Noah about had a fit when he realized I was about to leave him in my dust and beat him to the car. To avoid a scene, I let him win once again.

But I think in the privacy of our own home I'm going to start to do some winning and then teach him how to lose like a winner. :) We all have to learn this at some point.

Comments

Susan Ogilvy said…
It is so hard to see disappointment in our child's eyes but it is such a Godly lesson to teach them.

To this day I still have trouble losing but I have learned to recognize a true winner and to congratulate them despite my own feelings of jealousy or inadequacy. I suppose that means I at least learned the graceful part :)
The Stewardess said…
When Samuel starts grumbling about losing a game, we always ask him "what is the best part about playing a game?" and the answer we have taught him is "playing!" because he knows that we will NOT play with a poor loser. Just makes it miserable for everyone.

Popular posts from this blog

Resolving Everyday Conflict

The Hand of God

The Whole Truth