Going Organic (or at least Natural)

Mrs. Clark (a dear lady from church) came up to me a few weeks ago and handed me a book called "The Great Physician's Rx for Women's Health," by Jordan and Nicki Rubin. Mrs. Clark had been reading my blog and found out about my endometriosis and infertility, and wanted me to read the book. Over the following couple of weeks, I read it cover to cover and was pretty impressed with what I read. In a nutshell, this book is all about eating healthful foods and cutting out the refined sugars, enriched white flours, fatty fast-foods, and anything artificial. Trying to eat foods as close to the way God made them as possible.

I had heard that a good diet might help endometriosis, but every time I've mentioned to Josh the possibility of changing my eating habits, we've come to the conclusion that it would be too costly and too inconvenient to do something so drastic.

All that has changed.

I am just so ready to feel better than I do; to have more energy, to alleviate my pain, and quit being so tired all the time. I prayed that if it was the Lord's will that He'd help me to see it. For once, when I again brought up the natural food subject to Josh, he gave me a green light right away! He was all for it this time, especially when I explained that I wouldn't force him to eat anything "weird", and it would only affect his life for one meal a day (supper, when I refuse to make 2 separate meals. Sorry, you gotta draw the line somewhere!). I decided to try it for 3 months to see if it made a difference in anything. It surely won't hurt. So here goes!

I've been eating mostly vegetables, fruits, meat, and whole grains for a solid week. Drinking tons of water. Snacks are fruit or vegetables. No white bread (bagels and hamburger buns included) and no sugar (except honey) in sight. No dessert.

Well, okay, so I ate a *small bite* of Josh's candy bar this past week. Confession is good for the soul! Chocolate has proved to be the absolute hardest thing for me to give up. Chocolate literally calls my name. Loudly. Clearly. Decadently.

I'll let you know how the next 3 months go!

Check back here for all the chocolate-craving updates!! :)

And pray that the Lord uses this in my life to help heal me.

Comments

Ruth said…
Kudos to you! If I went on such a plan it would definitely help me achieve my weight loss goals. I would have a REALLY hard time going cold turkey with giving up things like ice cream. I do love fruits though so I'd just have to eat LOTS of fruit to compensate.
Melanie said…
Joanna! That's great! I think it's worth a try. I am doing the same thing for David, as I've been researching links between what kids eat and hyperactivity and inattention in children. It's not cheap in the short run, but if it helps, even a little, it will be worth it. I just started this week on Wednesday. I made homemade birthday cake (on his diet we don't totally give up sugar or refined flour - just mostly), and it was great! We are trying this for at least 6 weeks, and we'll see what happens at the end. It's been a MAJOR challenge for me, but I think it will be worth it. If it works for him, I think we'll all do it eventually. Please keep us updated!!!

PS... I need to call you about VBS! Maybe tomorrow morning, but not promising....

Popular posts from this blog

Resolving Everyday Conflict

The Hand of God

The Whole Truth