Chutes and "Wadders"




Josh has been working a lot of later hours lately, forcing Noah and me to find things to occupy our evenings while we wait for him to come home. Being that it gets dark so early these days, going outside usually isn't an option. Several weeks ago I bought Chutes and Ladders (and Candyland) at a yard sale for Noah, intending to save them til he was three. No go. He found them, and LOVES to play. Note, "play" is used in the loosest form possible.


Noah doesn't quite understand the fundamental concepts of either game; how many spaces you can move and when, what a chute does to your game position, what a ladder does, what winning means.... You know--the details! In one sense it's bliss to play with a kid who doesn't bellow when he has to go backwards in the game. He happily puts his piece where I tell him it needs to go, even if he's just had to ride the humongous chute all the way back to the beginning (I can remember crying over such a turn when I was little). On the other hand, it's like playing by myself when I have to do all the work.


Noah doesn't notice, though. As long as I'm playing with him, it doesn't matter what we're doing!

Comments

cj and family said…
Happy "playing!" :o) I understand how long evenings can get when Daddy's working late--we've had more of those recently. Candyland, Legos, "Mike Mulligan," here we come!
cj and family said…
Another thought--if he's recognizing colors/numbers at all (it'd be a bit early, but he seems advanced), a child's version of Uno might be workable.

Popular posts from this blog

Resolving Everyday Conflict

The Hand of God

The Whole Truth