My Big Exciting Idea


So Noah is 2 now. He can talk with the best of them and has a mind like a trap! Some examples:



  • (this one is kind of embarrassing) If someone cuts me off while I'm driving or I have to stop faster than normal, Noah will shout out from the backseat, "You're KIDDIN' Me!" Hmmm...I wonder where he hears that from? I'll let the guilty party remain nameless because I don't want to embarrass myself.

  • He can remember the words to every silly kid song he's heard ("The Wheels On The Bus" anyone?)

In light of the fact that he can remember and does remember, and in light of the fact that I want to make sure that most of what he learns is about God or good things and not silly songs or what his mommy says in frustration at passing motorists, I have decided to revamp my schedule and allow for some one-on-one Enrichment Time with Noah. I figure there is no better time to start than now, when his mind is a veritable sponge. Why not soak up knowledge of God and His ways instead of what the world wants him to soak up (Diego, Sesame Street, Scooby Doo, or Blue's Clues, anyone?)? One of the things that is sometimes hard for me to remember as an adult is that God is not a part of life, He is life! God is not what we fit in to our lives to force some meaning in, He is the meaning. The earlier Noah can learn this, the better.


So what is my Big Exciting Idea? Every week I plan to choose a new Bible story and teach it to Noah over the course of the week with themed activities and a memory verse. For example, for the first week we will study Creation. Our memory verse will be Genesis 1:1, and we will work on learning the story through crafts, teaching moments, books, and even baking (I was planning to make Monkey Bread for that week, unless anyone else can think of an idea for me for Creation?? Please?)


This idea has taken a lot of thought and planning, but I'm so excited to get started!! Keep me in prayer if you think about it. Molding a little mind with eternity in view is NOT easy! And I have to work on consistency Every Single Day.


P.S. Oh, and if you have any suggestions for me, bring them on! :)



Comments

Carrie said…
love the collage pic of Noah. You know I have the same feelings of teaching good things to my boys while they are young. I don't know if you remember but I did a letter a week time with Caleb when he was 3 and will do it with Titus this year. I got a lot of info online mostly from letteroftheweek.com I like it b/c it incoporates a Bible lesson, food, and project ideas. FOr your creation week I would suggest e3ach day making a page out of construction paper to represent the day so you have a book when you are done. Like day one half black half yellow page, day 2 clouds and water, day 3 draw tree, add fruit, flower stickers, and gras.... You could make dirt cups for creation week. keep up the great work :0)
Jen said…
I love your idea! What a great way to incorporate the Bible into Noah's every day life!
cj and family said…
I love this idea, Jen! Please keep us posted--it's a great inspiration for the rest of us! I had also thought of the dirt cups for Creation week, as well as sugar cookies with half chocolate and half vanilla frosting--light/dark! :o)
cj and family said…
Oops! Sorry I wrote "Jen" instead of "Joanna"--I must have been looking at Jen's post!

Popular posts from this blog

Resolving Everyday Conflict

The Hand of God

The Whole Truth