(un)Wholesome Entertainment

I'm always on the lookout for good wholesome movies and videos that I can let Noah watch. Thirty minutes of a good show can be a lifesaver for me at a crucial time when I'm trying to get supper on the table, or working on something that I just need to think about by myself.

Noah, like most children, is a veritable sponge and will pick up anything he hears. I constantly have to guard my mouth to make sure that I have no problem if he repeats what I'm saying. I also have to guard what everyone on videos is saying, or else he will pick it right up. Why is it that he manages to remember the bad things?

Several weeks ago I found a copy of The Swiss Family Robinson, which I remembered from my childhood as being very exciting and also very wholesome. We watched it and loved it again! Noah couldn't get enough of all the adventures, and would request this video over and over. I agreed over and over, letting him watch it 30 minutes at a time.

I didn't realize that even the most seemingly wholesome movies can contain objectionable elements, especially for a 3-year-old who has no discretion. Here are two quotes from that movie, which Noah has had the unfortunate experience of repeating to us. Unfortunate because of the consequences to him.

"Not that way, stupid, this way!" (this, in the movie, was spoken to an animal, but still. From Noah's perspective, he just scored a cool new word, which he decided to use frequently when talking to people. He's experienced some bad consequences as a result of this new word.)

"Just because you're older doesn't mean you're always right!" (spoken in the movie from a younger brother to an older brother, and then used by Noah to speak to me at the breakfast table the other day. That one didn't go over so well either, as you can imagine.)

So even these "wholesome", "family", "clean" movies have to be evaluated from every angle! You can't assume that just because it is rated G and there are no swear words that it will be appropriate. In hindsight, I should have watched it with Noah and talked to him about the things we shouldn't say.


"Benji; The Hunted", which has next to no talking in it, is becoming my new favorite. :)

Comments

Tim said…
I'm smiling at this because one time when our oldest(Josh) was 2 or 3 years old, we sat down for dinner and asked him what he wanted to drink - and were floored when he requested "beer". We were never around anyone who drank, except almost everyone drinks in westerns. I told him that "bad cowboys drink beer but good cowboys drink milk" and he decided to have milk instead. And I remember when he was 5 or 6 and came home from Jr. Church with a new word he picked up from one of the bus kids. Oh well, just try not to "over-react" and it all works out with God's help - now he is a pastor!
Melanie said…
Haha! :) I totally know what you mean. Even some Patch the Pirate CDs have stuff that my kids repeat that is from the bad guy talking or whatever.

Milo and Otis is another almost-no-talking but very cool for a 3 year old boy movie. :)

But like you were saying, avoiding isn't always the best policy. Discussion is so important. :)
Melanie said…
Haha! :) I totally know what you mean. Even some Patch the Pirate CDs have stuff that my kids repeat that is from the bad guy talking or whatever.

Milo and Otis is another almost-no-talking but very cool for a 3 year old boy movie. :)

But like you were saying, avoiding isn't always the best policy. Discussion is so important. :)

Popular posts from this blog

Resolving Everyday Conflict

The Hand of God

The Whole Truth