The Book of Job

We've been studying the book of Job on Wednesday nights in Bible Study. I love the book of Job, not because I have ever experienced anything remotely similar to Job's losing everything, but because he puts into words the emotions I've felt over the course of the trials I've faced. I like it because God comes through so mightily and reminds Job who He is. And, strangely, I like it because nowhere in the whole book does God ever explain why Job went through what he did. God rarely if ever shows us why either, but reminds us that "why" is not the point. The point is, who God is and that He can be trusted.

I've experienced many trials in my life so far: the divorce of my parents when I was a young child, the death of my father when I was 11, a physical assault by a stranger when I was 15, the sudden death of my brother a few years ago, and five years of infertility to name the biggest of them. Though each one of those trials was difficult in its own way and for its own reasons, infertility has stood out as the hardest of these to bear; I think because it has lasted the longest and is so very constant and wearing, like the erosion of a sand dune. There is not a day that goes by that I'm not reminded several times of its reality.

I've been challenged through the study to keep my faith in God, and that my trials aren't necessarily about me. There's a bigger picture going on that I can't see, and that God is doing this for my best and for His glory. These are comforting thoughts at times, and it's those times that I can say with Job, "Though He slay me, I will hope in Him." Job 13:15.

Don't think I'm some super Christian at all! I'm not "there" by any stretch of the imagination. I wish I could have this attitude all the time. The truth is, the fleeting moments of faith and hope and confidence and peace are just that: moments. It is a constant fight for me to keep the right attitude in the midst of this, my biggest trial. I keep praying for grace and strength to bear it, and that God will give us wisdom regarding what's next. The truth is, there aren't a whole lot of "next" options for us, but I have to trust that God will help us. That's the main lesson I think. Not that we've got it all figured out or know why a trial was entrusted to us, but that we're willing to trust God when we can't see how it will turn out, just because He's God.

I wish you would pray for me in this regard. I struggle daily with this.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Resolving Everyday Conflict

The Hand of God

The Whole Truth