My Spring Haircut Debacle

In the course of my life, I have had 3 haircuts that have made me cry:

1. 9th grade when my mom cut my bangs too short. Sorry Mom! Thankfully it was only that one time! :)

2. About 4 years ago when the lady cut it weird and too short. A double whammy!

3. Yesterday.

Being a person who only cuts her hair 2 or 3 times a year, I was looking forward to my Spring Haircut. Get out the warm clothes, cut my hair; they go together. I secured a babysitter (thanks, Jen!) and headed out. HA! Headed out? Get it? That was for you, Lori Miller. :) ANYWAY!

I should mention that I **always** have trouble explaining to the hairdresser what I want done. Pictures are no help, because usually I want something like what is shown in the picture, but not exactly. This particular time I brought 3 pictures in. I started stammering through what I wanted done and asked "does that make sense?" about 4 times. I could have answered my own question though. "NO it does NOT make sense!"

But the lady smiled and said "I think so." Red Flag #1.

Red Flag #2 was raised when I felt her get the razor out on my neck.

At that point, the phone rang and she left to answer it. I quickly put my hand up to the back of my head to survey the damage. She came back and saw my wide eyes, and asked, "Is it too short?"

Now there's an interesting question! What is the correct response? The honest anser is YES, but what good does that do? It's not like she could say "Okay, let's just paste some of this back on", right? I swallowed and said I wasn't sure because I couldn't see the back.

She kept going, starting to work on the sides. Every chunk of hair that fell to the floor seemed to reverberate in my ears. "THUD!" "Thud" "Thud." I tried to think about other things.

She finished up, blew it dry, and I tried to fight back tears. I paid her (she told me I didn't have to, but I felt like it was partially my fault for not explaining well what I wanted), and retreated to my car where I proceeded to bawl.

I contemplated buying a bunch of hats and declaring them my new accessory.

I contemplated not going out in public ever until my hair grew out.

And then I got real, went home, and analyzed the full picture. And you know what?

It wasn't that bad!!

It was actually exactly what I asked her to do, but about 2 inches shorter all around. Yes, it's a little short, but the good news is, it will grow and it will keep me cooler in the meantime.

Not to mention, I won't have to go back for another haircut for quite a while! :)



Here I am after I stopped crying. :) And yes, those are SHORT SLEEVES!! Bring on Spring!

Comments

Melanie said…
Hey, I understand! I've had a few doozies myself. So, even just today I sat in a salon looking at pictures, but couldn't find anything I liked exactly, so I just left! I trying to figure it out and explain it to someone else!

But, it does look nice. I would love to see a back shot. :)
cj and family said…
It looks REALLY cute! :o) Not that I'm overly familiar with your normal style since we authors don't tend to grace our blogs particularly often, but I think it looks nice. And even if it seems a bit short, that really does simply mean that you have more time before having to shell out money for another one. :o) And it still looks very feminine and nice. :o) Happy spring!
Laura said…
Joanna,
I think it looks super cute! It frames your face well and accentuates your eyes. I think it takes a couple of visits to "cultivate" a stylist. The first time is always somewhat of a shot in the dark. But, on later visits when the stylist is familiar with your hair and style expectations (and you with them)your cut/style can be tweaked and refined. So, if you find a stylist you like... and they can cut hair well... go back a couple of times before moving on to someone else... barring a "disaster" of course :)
Ruth said…
It looks nice!! I know what you mean though about getting a shorter haircut than desired as that happened to me as well recently.
Unknown said…
I think it looks GREAT!!
Natalie said…
I think your haircut looks really nice! I understand, though, the turmoil of getting a bad cut or one you weren't wanting at all. I've had a few bad ones too!

Popular posts from this blog

Resolving Everyday Conflict

The Hand of God

The Whole Truth