Travel Nightmare

I'm going to be objective here, I really am. I have a tendency to make things bigger than they really are (at least in my mind), but I'm just going to tell you exactly what happened yesterday. No frills, just the facts. This is one for the Hall of Fame to be sure!

1. We arrived at Jacksonville airport on time.

2. We got waylaid in security, where the lady searched my carry-on and Noah's diaper bag and threw away my toothpaste, facewash, and lotion. She also tested Noah's water in his sippy cup with a piece of litmus paper.

3. This delay caused us to arrive at the gate as they were already in the process of boarding the passengers, so we missed being able to board in the early "Small Children" category.

4. When we got to our seats, there was an 86-year-old (very nice) woman sitting in the aisle seat and we had to literally throw our stuff over to our seats and climb over her, since she could not get out of the seat without assistance. That was interesting.

5. All the passengers got on the plane, they closed the door, and then the Captain came over the loudspeaker and said that we were going to pull away from the gate and sit on the runway for an hour before we took off.

6. We passed the hour on the runway with Noah, and finally we were in the air.

7. Once we were approaching Philadelphia, the Captain came back on and said we'd have to circle the airport in a holding pattern for 1/2 an hour, since we were delayed and "there was a lot of traffic".

8. After 45 mins of circling, we finally landed in Philadelphia at 2:00pm (we were supposed to have been there at 12:45), which was the time our connecting flight was scheduled to leave.

9. Noah fell asleep 30 seconds before we landed.

10. We had to climb back over the 86-year-old woman to get off the plane, since she had to wait for the wheelchair assistance, which comes after everyone else gets off. Have YOU ever tried to climb over someone with a diaper bag on one shoulder, a sleeping child on your other one, and a coat thrown over your arm? It's difficult. Noah woke up.

11. We ran out of the gate to try to see if our connecting flight had left yet, and saw on the screen that not only had it not left, it was CANCELED.

12. We changed terminals to get to the customer service line to see what we should do about getting on the next flight. Changing terminals requires at least 1/4 mile walk.

13. The customer service line was LONG.

14. We waited in that line for close to 2 hours.

15. We found out the next flight was scheduled to take off from the previous terminal (terminal B) at 6:25pm. It was a completely full flight, and we were numbers 22 and 23 for standby passengers. We also got tickets for the final flight of the day, an 8:40 flight, just in case the stand-by thing didn't work out for us.

16. The airline gave us meal vouchers totaling $10, which we used to eat at Chick-fil-A.

17. We went back to terminal B (another 1/4 mile walk at least).

18. Twenty mins before they were to start boarding the flight, they announced there had been a gate change, and not only that, a TERMINAL change. The plane was now taking off from terminal C.

19. We walked (ran, rather) back to terminal C.

20. Noah fell alseep in his stroller at 6:00pm.

21. Someone announced over the loudspeaker that the 6:25 flight to Hartford had switched gates AGAIN. That's right! Back to terminal B.

22. We ran another 1/4 mile.

23. We heard the glorious news that we had made it onto the flight, despite being on such a long stand-by list!

24. We boarded the flight at 6:20 and Noah woke up. Fussed and cried.

25. After everyone had boarded and all our stuff was situated (bags stowed, etc) the Captain came over the speaker and said our flight had been canceled. CANCELED, and that probably nothing would be flying into Hartford that night due to weather. It was beautiful in Philadelphia, and decent in Hartford.

26. We de-planed. Again.

27. We ran to the customer service line to ask some questions about our options.

28. We stood in that line 40 minutes. While we waited in line, we decided to take a rental car from Philadelphia to Hartford. This decision was made after realizing that the 8:40 flight was probably a joke even though we had confirmed tickets on it, that we couldn't emotionally handle getting on another plane and having to deplane due to cancellation, and we just wanted to be DONE with the whole switching of terminals and dashed hopes.

29. We rented a car from the airport and drove the 3 hours and 45 minutes to Hartford. It was the best decision we made!! Noah slept the whole way in the car, and we were finally-gloriously-on our own. The weather was beautiful. If we had not done that, I wonder if we would STILL be in Philadelphia waiting for a flight? :)

I just let Josh read all of my account of this, and he agreed that what you have just read were the absolute facts, plain and simple. I am so glad that day is over with!!! Praise the Lord we got in safely.

Comments

Carrie said…
So sorry! I cabn say I closely feel your pain, we have had a simular experience, minus the kid. We did not get the rental car either, but rather decided to sleep at the airport. Hope the rest of your time is Wonderful!
Rachel said…
Ugh! Airlines are the worst! I have a horror story from when I was 19 or so from California to New York and back. I can totally empathize, although I'm sure it is 100x worse with a little one!
Maybe it's in my blood but I prefer driving!:) I'm so glad you rented the car and got in safely. Rest up and enjoy this special time! Love you!
P.S. I have started a little on my blog if you still want to check it out.
Natasha said…
OH my gosh, Joanna - we have had the same experience at least twice with Alexa, and once while we were traveling with no children (thank goodness!!). We've stayed overnight in seedy motels that the airlines "pay" for in order to catch the flight the next day, with NO CARSEAT AND NO CRIB and a 18 month-old child.. we've rented cars to drive just like you did.. and we have been THE family that has the screaming child on the 4 hour cross-country LATE NIGHT flight... Precisely why we have moved home, to the east coast, and will probably NEVER fly again (if we can help it!!). I'm so sorry to hear about your experience..and I hate to say that it will probably happen again... better to drive/take train/postpone trips! Glad you finally got in safely - Have a good time visiting!! :)
Ruth said…
We've mostly had very good experiences with flying, but we did have a nightmare once (arrived 24 hours later than expected and took a bunch of extra flights in between and couldn't take a rental car as we were headed to an island). Anyhow when we got back, I wrote a complaint to the airline and they gave us 2 vouchers so we flew for free to Aruba the next year. So I am saying all that to say you might consider complaining when you get back to see if it gets you a free ticket or two. :-) I hate driving long distances so I'd definitely want to fly from FL to CT, but you were wise to rent a car from PA to CT!!
Jen said…
I must say my mouth dropped open as I read this! I still can't believe that happened to you! Well, I'm glad you finally made it to CT. I hope you enjoy your time. :)
Melanie said…
I think I'm finally figuring out how to leave comments! Yeah! It's so fun having you guys here, but I'm sorry about your miserable trip.

Popular posts from this blog

Resolving Everyday Conflict

The Hand of God

The Whole Truth