My 100th Post! Already?

This blog has been a blessing to me, as it gives me a way to remember my life as I know it. The challenges I face, the joys I experience, and being able to see in hindsight the Lord's leading hand.

As I type this Noah is wailing in his bedroom, hopefully going to sleep soon. I've done everything I know to do for him and he just won't settle. So I left him. Sigh. I hate nights like this. This whole week has actually been rough at bedtime. The only thing I can figure is he's throwing a fit because he doesn't want to go to bed? Like I said, I do everything I know to do and (for the last 5 nights) he still screams as soon as I put him in there.

This week Noah acquired two new words in his little vocabulary: "Juice" and "No". This brings the total to seven. He can now say the following words:
hot
no
juice
ow!
uh-oh!
motorcycle
ball

(There, he stopped crying. WHEW!! My blood pressure just went back down to normal.) :)

Along with the newly-debuted "No", has come an ugly attitude that must have been lurking just under the surface. Now that he verbalizes "No", he can openly defy us, and he does with regularity. Today for instance, Josh shut the door of our cabinet after Noah had opened it, and told Noah to leave it shut. "NO!" said Noah. Um, excuse me? Who are you and what have you done with my sweet son? So the world of discipline has just multiplied for us exponentially.

Josh and I were talking a bit ago, and he made the comment that we are in the "lean years" of parenting, and that hopefully the best is yet to come. I certainly hope so! These early formative years come with so much pressure to get it right, and it takes SO MUCH ENERGY!!! Consistency alone takes more energy than I can shake a stick at. Truly, the easy thing is to let discipline go "just this once". If you ever pray for us, please pray at this time that we would have the grace and strength to keep up with Noah, and more than just physically. That little boy is the definition of Active, and now with his budding (exploding?) self-assertion..... well it's enough to make me want to go to bed for a year. I cannot imagine how you moms of multiple children do it! The Lord must give you grace.

So thank you to all the moms out there who get up every day and don't give up. I'm thankful to my mom who not only raised me, but worked a full-time job simultaneously. I can't begin to imagine the exhaustion! Thank you, Mom!! :)

This blog post is nowhere near what I set out to talk about, but I'm glad I did. I need to remember the rough times too.

Comments

matt said…
Noah's vocabulary is starting out well with the word "motorcycle!"
Ruth said…
Congrats on the 100th post! It seems like just yesterday you started your blog. :-) Congrats on Noah's expanding vocabulary. "No" is a very common "first" word (not necessarily the very first but one of the first several I mean). Now on the other hand I think motorcylce is unusual as a first word. I wonder why that was one of his firsts, LOL? Now what about mamma or dadda? Usually those are in the first few??? My mom was disappointed that my first word wasn't mama but rather was kitty. :-)
Joanna said…
Let me clarify: Noah's word for "motorcycle" wouldn't be understood by anyone but us, b/c he just says the last syllable, the "cle". But it's definitely "motorcycle". No question about it!

As for "mommy" or "daddy"...Nope. He says "DADADA" a lot, but there's no apparent connection between that word and Josh. He uses that sound in a lot of different circumstances.

Popular posts from this blog

Resolving Everyday Conflict

The Hand of God

The Whole Truth