Childhood Musings

At the park today, I let Noah run around (in SHOES!!!) for a while. As I watched him, another family was packing up to leave, and I heard the following conversation:

Mom: "Do you want to go to McDonald's after this and get some ice cream?"

Little Girl: (ecstatically jumps up and down) "Oh YES! Ice cream!! Mom, can we pleeease go inside this time?"

Little Boy: "Yes, Mommy pleeeease take us inside. I love it when we go inside!!"

Mom: "Ok, I guess we can go inside."

Little Kids: "YAAAAAAAYYYYYYY!!!!!" (more jumping up and down)


I had to chuckle to myself, as I remember being the same way when I was little. I even remember a similar conversation between my brother Tom and me when I was a little child. He was visiting us, and offered to take me to McDonald's for lunch and I was elated. After jumping up and down like the little girl at the park and then asking my brother why he was not as excited, Tom said, "Jo there's going to come a day when eating at McDonald's will not be as fun and exciting to you." I wouldn't believe it. Not possible! Now I just smile when I recall that memory, and I know exactly what he meant. Funny what a change adulthood brings.

Comments

Rachel said…
Yes, I too never believed there would come a day when McDonald's was no longer my definition of "Food Heaven".
Speaking of adulthood changing you...I recall a similar story when I was about 7 or 8 and throwing a fit about taking a nap. One of the cadets our family sponsored from the USCG Academy (Rob) looked at me through weary eyes and said, "Rachel there will come a day when you will WISH someone would tell you to go take a nap. Enjoy it while you can." Oh how right he was...:)

Love you!
Rachel

Popular posts from this blog

Resolving Everyday Conflict

The Hand of God

The Whole Truth