Artwork, Free Time, and Priorities

I struggle to balance my life. The things I have to do versus the things I want to do. I have identified a very addictive streak in my personality, which becomes almost obsessive when awakened. Take this puzzle I recently completed for example: 

It's a Norman Rockwell painting that was printed into a puzzle, and I just love the subject matter--it's so humorous. But it. was. hard!! So hard, in fact, that I hope I never have to take this puzzle apart. It may just have to live in our schoolroom because I can't bear the thought of all that effort going back in its box in fragments. I don't know how long it took me to do this puzzle, but I do know that for the last several days I have spent almost every spare second poring over its 1,000 pieces. My eyes ached in their sockets and I repeatedly lost track of the time--a rarity for me.  All that blue and green! All those skin tones! All that car trim! And in this puzzle, the pieces are not evenly-shaped and patterned in a nice neat grid, stoic in their starched lines. No, they are all oddly-shaped, of different sizes, and laid out in a pattern that fairly undulates, like unruly children. There are pieces that have straight edges but are not edge pieces at all, and there are pieces that have such a tiny edge on them that you would  completely overlook them as edge pieces. It's a dizzying puzzle, and I was obsessed. There's something about fitting a puzzle together that is so satisfying to me that I just can't help but look for "one more" piece. Sink full of dishes? Laundry piling up? Scuzz in the bathrooms? Yeah, yeah, okay. Be there in a second! Just one more piece!

Also completed during our days of quarantine, was this puzzle:

You'll have to turn your head, because I can't turn the photo! This puzzle, in comparison, was child's play. Three hundred grid-like, predictable pieces, and very easy to tell which parts were reflection and which were not. And yet I was equally preoccupied.

Artwork has the same effect on me. Take this recent Prismacolor portrait:

It's difficult for me once I begin something like this to put it away and stop working on it until it is finished. I eat, sleep, and breathe it from the first sketchy strokes of tentative layout to the final signature in confident black.

I guess so far I'm just making observations and haven't really solved any problems at all, but it's something I've been trying to piece together in my mind, much like a puzzle. I've been talking to the Lord about these questions the last couple of days: How much time is too much to spend on such things? Am I even in the right stage of life to justify such an outlet? (When I'm drawing and my kids come around, my battle cry is "Don't Bump the Table!" It's one of the things I like least about myself, but there it is.) If I were to start another project, is it reasonable for me to ignore all the housework for the next several days and devote all my free time to it? Or would the Lord be better pleased with say, 30 minutes a day on such projects? Should I just wait until I'm 55 and all the kids are out of the house? 

I'm just leaving these questions here to record that I do think about this. I wonder if other people wrestle with the same thoughts? 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Resolving Everyday Conflict

The Hand of God

The Whole Truth