Do You Smell Something?

Was reading today, among other passages, 2 Corinthians 2 as part of my devotions.

*slight rabbit trail*
I've been reading my Bible using the McCheyne Bible Reading Plan. If you follow it, you will end up reading through the entire Old Testament one time per year, plus the New Testament and Psalms twice. It's a lot more reading than I used to do, but it's been a blessing! I like that I read from 4 different sections of Scripture at a time. That way, you tend to get the viewpoint of Scripture as a whole instead of camping out, say, in genealogies or ceremonial laws for weeks on end. :) Google "McCheyne bible reading" if you're interested.
*anyways...*

So here are some verses that grabbed me today:

2 Cor 2:14-15
"But thanks be to God, who always leads us in triumph in Christ, and manifests through us the sweet aroma of the knowledge of Him in every place. For we are a fragrance of Christ to God among those who are being saved and among those who are perishing..."

Really? I am a fragrance of Christ in this world? That's a convicting thought. Especially when I call to mind all those times when "stench" would better describe my actions than "fragrance." May all of us (me especially!) be a sweet-smelling "fragrance of Christ" to everyone we meet today; to our family members, and to the grocery store clerks, to our husbands and children, and to our neighbors. It takes complete dependence on God, for everything we do in our flesh tends to smell foul, rather than sweet.

I'm just preaching to myself here!

Comments

Ruth said…
You know what's really strange? Jennifer (who was a student of mine in Algebra I back in 1992), wrote about the SAME verse on her blog today? What are the odds that two blogs I read would mention the same verse today? http://coffeechaosandcontentment.blogspot.com/

Popular posts from this blog

Resolving Everyday Conflict

The Hand of God

The Whole Truth