Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde

I have always thrived on routine, and something inside of me rejoiced when I heard that small children thrive on routine too. YAY! Routine: check. I can handle routine. Josh dutifully, and I excitedly, began a bedtime routine with Noah from infancy. Bath, pajamas, Bible story, prayer, songs, bed. It was beautiful. We all looked forward to it. It worked.

Until 3 weeks ago.

It began with a simple request for a drink of water and escalated into a battle of wills heretofore unparalleled in our household. We gave Noah his simple drink and said "goodnight." Then, somewhat fussy-sounding, the little voice asked if he could tell me something. "No," I said. "It's time to go to sleep."

Noah, full-on fussy now: "But I want to!" And such began a sequence of discipline, reproof, and correction that lasted 45 minutes. Forty-five minutes!!

And we (get this!) thought it was a fluke.

It wasn't. It's as if we have a Jekyll and Hyde on our hands. Seriously. For the past 24 days, we have been fighting a nearly nightly battle of wills. If it's not a drink he requests, it's insisting that he's so hungry he's about to perish, or that he doesn't feel well ("My belly has a throat." Whatever that means.), or that he simply must tell Mommy something, or that he's hot, or, or, or... Our discipline tactic seems to make no difference. He knows what's coming, and he still chooses to disobey. Repeatedly. At the end of our discipline routine, we have him pray and he seems ready to obey, only to climb into bed and start the whole thing over again.

This will go on for 30-45 minutes before he finally gives up for the night, and retreats to sleep. We then retreat to our bedroom where we flop down, emotionally exhausted and at the end of our parenting rope.

The hardest part is knowing that we are following God's plan to the best of our ability, and that it doesn't seem to be working. That's where faith comes in. And what I have mentioned in previous posts about clinging to the word of God and trusting that what He says is true.

So that's my story.

Hopefully it won't stick with us long.

Prayers appreciated!

Comments

Melanie said…
Hey, I'm just here to say that I'm praying for you. I know parenting isn't easy. I know that if Noah was a perfectly compliant 3 year old, although things might be easier now, in the long run, he wouldn't be who God made him to be. My heart is so sad and heavy to hear your last 2 posts.

I know you know and are already considering that children are individuals with different emotional and security needs that are constantly changing. (Don't ours, as adults change even on a daily basis sometimes? And we even have the capacity to communicate them fully if we choose to do so.) Sometimes our parenting styles need to change to meet their new needs, and sometimes they need (through patience and understanding and coaching and yes, even discipline) to learn to adjust and adapt through their needs. Knowing who needs to change and how (the parent or the child) is the complicated part! :)

I've totally seen how changing up our parenting expectations at times has made a huge difference in behavior and the overall close relationship we have with our children. I've also seen how, after prayer and soul searching, we've decided that it wasn't in the child's best long term interest to continue to be immobilized by "x" fear or "y" stubborn requests, and how coaching the child into new ways to handle the situations has helped them. Being creative in these situations can be so draining, I know!

I am praying that God gives you wisdom as you seek in every part of the day to "bring him up in the NURTURE AND ADMONITION of the Lord."

And sometimes it's helpful to check to see if the expectations are too high (Is it a situation where if you were put in exact position and were expected to do what you expect him to do, would that make you highly tempted to be angry or behave in a similar way?). I'm sure some of that depends on personality types, but that question has TRULY helped me with dealing with David (we are both similar personalities). Matt will help me think through the question with his own answers for issues dealing with Daniel since their personalities are more similar.

I trust that as parents (who are seeking God) of a beautiful, special, unique, precious, very often sweet, 3 year old boy, God will give you the wisdom you are seeking.

I am praying for all 3 of you! :)

Love you guys so much.

Melanie
Ruth said…
I'm of the philosophy that if a certain form of discipline isn't proving effective that maybe there's something else that can be used as the consequence. I know as a classroom teacher that was very true - loss of recess might be something to avoid for one child but another might not care at all about that. There has to be SOMETHING that would be bad enough that he'd want to obey. For example sometimes for Nadia her punishment is that the stuffed animals come out of her crib and that's about the end of the world in her mind. Also, maybe for a little time you can use a positive consequence instead. I know you wouldn't want to do that on a long term basis but just until he gets back into a good habit. When I first started having Nadia walking beside me in the grocery store (rather than sitting in the cart), I gave her a reward. I wasn't going to do that forever but just while teaching her a new skill (similar to giving kids a treat when they first are being potty trained but we don't keep doing that forever). Maybe come up with something Noah would REALLY look forward to and then tell him that if he goes to bed in the manner you want him to that he'll get a sticker and when he has x number of stickers he gets xyz as a the reward - which could even be something like staying up a little later one night if staying up late is something that really excites him. It doesn't have to be something you buy.

Did he just recently get moved from the crib to a bed? Just wondering what might have brought this on...

Popular posts from this blog

Resolving Everyday Conflict

The Hand of God

The Whole Truth