Swimming with Friends


I was nine years old when The Little Mermaid was released in theaters, and it quickly rose to the top of my list of favorite movies. I could sing every song, and in the summers ever after--until I grew too old to admit that I was doing such a thing--I pretended to be a mermaid. Swam underwater with my legs tight together and everything. Now I have 3 kids, and though they have no idea who The Little Mermaid is, the water seems to allure them just as much as it did me. They can't wait to get their swimsuits on and jump in, though they aren't pretending to be mermaids, I guarantee you. They're boys, after all, and have much more in common with Indiana Jones than Ariel. But I digress.

I love pictures like the one above because it's like a digital time capsule. I'll file it away and then in five years, revisit it and not be able to believe how little they were. I love/hate that feeling. These are my kids with Matt and Jen's kids, and also some friends from church. I'm thankful to have friends to swim with (even if we're not pretending to be mermaids)!

Now, for the real reason I wanted to post about today: to remember something Eden said while we were swimming. Jen had brought some water toys she had crocheted. They were called reusable water balloons, and they are basically like sponge balls that soak up water and are super fun and harmless to throw. They do sink when saturated, and Eden had just lobbed one into the water and was watching it descend to the bottom of the pool. She looked up and said, "It's unfloating!"

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Resolving Everyday Conflict

The Hand of God

The Whole Truth