Just a Vapor

I woke up at 2:30 this morning in excruciating pain.  Sometime in the 4 hours I had been asleep, I must have slept wrong.  That sounds so mellow and, well, painless: "I slept wrong." This morning the fact is that I cannot turn my head to either side, or even hold my head up in proper alignment without feeling something akin to a sharp electric shock which radiates down from my neck to my left shoulder blade. Driving Seth to VPK this morning brought me home in tears.  Picking Eden up is enough to make me shriek.  Josh hugged me, and I died a little, or so it felt.

Does it surprise you how frail the body is?  That what you do in 4 hours of just sleeping can cause days of incessant pain?  This was my first (okay, maybe 3rd) thought I had when I realized my life was going to be altered today.  How dependent on God we are!  How very un-I AM are we!

Some Scripture I'm dwelling on this morning, as I struggle to even sit up straight:

" And He has said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for power is perfected in weakness.” Most gladly, therefore, I will rather boast [c]about my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may dwell in me. 10 Therefore I am well content with weaknesses, with [d]insults, with distresses, with persecutions, with difficulties, for Christ’s sake; for when I am weak, then I am strong." 2 Cor 12:9-10

"13 Come now, you who say, “Today or tomorrow we will go to such and such a city, and spend a year there and engage in business and make a profit.” 14 [g]Yet you do not know [h]what your life will be like tomorrow. You are just a vapor that appears for a little while and then vanishes away. 15 [i]Instead, you ought to say, “If the Lord wills, we will live and also do this or that.” 16 But as it is, you boast in your [j]arrogance; all such boasting is evil."  James 4:13-16

It is so true that I do not know what my life will be like tomorrow.  I am just a vapor, borrowing time from a God who is Almighty, Unchangeable, and infinitely kind.  That's the blessing of constant pain; it gives me constant opportunity to remember my God and His grace! 

Comments

Ruth said…
It sounds awful! I hope you feel better soon! I was thinking of you yesterday. I'm studying church history with Nadia and Ian this year (particularly from the Roman Empire until the Reformation), and we were studying Bernard of Clairvaux yesterday and listening to two hymns that he wrote - one of which was "O Sacred Head Now Wounded." I know you love hymns so I thought of you. :)

Popular posts from this blog

Resolving Everyday Conflict

The Hand of God

The Whole Truth