Hope for Truth

Our church is in transition right now.  There is a family who, though indispensable to our ministry over the last 5 or so years, is suddenly being moved by the clear direction of God to South Carolina.  We see the hand of God in it, and so we can do nothing more than praise Him for this working in their lives and hold our hands out in expectation of how God will fill the gap.  Because there will be a gap.  This family was involved in almost every ministry; deacon, Sunday school teachers, nursery workers (as the one "in charge" of scheduling nursery workers, just ask me how much I will miss them!), music, organization, and probably a myriad of other capacities of which I am not even aware, because they didn't serve to be noticed.  And did I mention that they drove almost an hour one-way just to get to church?  We're talking dedication.

But as much as I am sorry to see them go, there is also awakening in me a kind of wonder-filled excitement at what God will do in our little church, perhaps even through people like Josh and me.  We are no super-Christians.  We're not even talented in any of the facets necessary to running a church.  But I was listening to a sermon last night, and was encouraged to remember that God has given us a body of believers, small though it is, who are equipped by God to help meet the needs of each other.  I'm part of that body, and there are people God wants me to encourage.  I'm not the best singer or teacher or organizer or designer or anything, but God has me in this church on purpose to serve in whatever way I can to the best of my ability.  God has given me everything I need; His complete Word, His Spirit which enables me to do everything, and a local body of believers to help support me in my daily Christian walk.

And so this new chapter is exciting to me.  I don't know what the future holds, but I know Who holds the future!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Resolving Everyday Conflict

The Hand of God

The Whole Truth