Blessed Summertime

Noah with a play-doh helicopter



I loved summer as a girl.  Who could beat the giddy endless string of Friday afternoons?  In the car on the way home from Noah's last day of Kindergarten, he said all full of wonder, "So, on Monday I don't have to go to school?  And Tuesday I don't have to go to school?  And Wednesday and Thursday and Friday for weeks and weeks I don't have to go to school? So every day is the weekend??"

Pretty much!  Here's what we're up to:

This summer, Noah and I are still working a little on schoolwork.  We signed up for Khan Academy, an online tutoring system.  Once he found out that you could earn points for doing the work, Noah was hooked.  We've been working on his Math skills, specifically addition and subtraction, telling time, and I also need to find one on counting money/coins.

I've also assigned him some basic chores such as making his bed, cleaning the toilets, vacuuming, setting and clearing the table, and sorting laundry.  If he wants to earn some money, I have a list of chores that I'm willing to pay him for, which are a little harder and take a little more discipline.  These are optional, but if he wants to earn money, these are where it's at.  So far in that category, he's dusted the baseboards and cleaned the grout in our kitchen floor.  I could get used to this! :)

For fun we go to the park, play in the stream behind our house, read stories, draw pictures, do play-doh, have Nerf gun fights, go to the library, play games, etc.  I've been teaching Noah some card games that I played when I was little.  Old Maid was especially a favorite, unless of course I got stuck with the Old Maid, in which case "why don't we play something else?"  Things haven't changed much in all these years. :)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Resolving Everyday Conflict

The Hand of God

The Whole Truth