Life These Days


It's time for another book report of What's Going On Around Here. Exciting, I know!

We're getting ready to send out our 10th (tenth!) Christmas letter/photo, and soon to follow celebrate our 10th (tenth!!) wedding anniversary. Stay tuned for fun snapshots of Josh and me when we were twenty-one and the world was our oyster. Followed by pictures of us now, when we're thirty-one and we're realizing how much we still have to learn. :)

Side note about getting older: you know the haircut I posted about recently? Well, the hairdresser actually recommended that I start highlighting my hair to cover up my grays. I never thought I would hear those words. *sobs*

Whenever Noah hears us talk about life before he was born, he'll say "where was I?" but he doesn't understand the state of not existing. He totally doesn't get it. To him, there's only "when I was a baby" and "now". There was no "before". And then try explaining it to him....

I've been going through old blog posts with pictures and videos of Noah when he was a tiny tot, and it's just crazy to me how much a child changes in a few short years. Slow down!

Josh and I have been planning our anniversary celebration. For a while we talked about going away overnight, but (call us cheap) the cost of that started really adding up (to say nothing of the fact that we need to save lots of pennies for IVF Lord-willing next month!). I think instead of going away, we have decided to still take a kid-free night by ourselves--thank you Matt and Jen!--and just stay home. That way we'll probably be able to go out to a nicer restaurant, and maybe do something else in addition. I would love to go see a ballet, but Josh would probably rather be poked in the eye with a stick! Hee hee! It would be the equivalent of offering to take me to a monster truck rally. Not. Happening. Hopefully we can think of something we'd both like to do. :)

I picked up Noah from school today, and the teacher asked me to talk to him about his language and using appropriate language for school. I panicked, as visions of my four-year-old using 4-letter expletives popped into my head. As far as I know, he hasn't heard any of those yet. Hopefully I can keep it that way for a while! But anyway, the teacher said he had called someone a "poopy-head." Where do kids come up with this stuff? So Noah and I had to have a little discussion about that...

And now, for fun, a poll of sorts. Be honest: When you get Christmas letters from people in the mail, do you read them? Do you read it all? Skim it? Just pitch it? My curious mind wants to know...


Comments

Melanie said…
I absolutely read Christmas letters!!!!! I LOVE them! Of course, I haven't written one myself in a few years, but I LOVE reading other people's!

Haha about Noah's language. :) Boys.
cj and family said…
Yep, I read them ... keep them posted with the Christmas cards for the Christmas season, and then pitch them with the Christmas clean-up. :o) Hapy upcoming anniversary! :o)
Ruth said…
I definitely read Christmas letters in their entirity. My hairdresser at my last appt also suggested highlights or color for my gray hairs also. Nope. I'm not doing it at 39. LOL. What you are experiencing with Noah is totally normal. I used to teach my students about the fact that young children don't think anything happened on the planet before they were born. I hope you guys have a fabulous 10th anniversary. We also talked about going away overnight in August for our 10th, but it didn't happen. We haven't had a kid free night in 3.5 years. I wish I had a brother or sister who lived nearby. :-)
Carrie said…
Love Christmas letters! Read every word!

I had the same problem with Caleb at that age repeating things he heard, making up words and finding gross things funny!....most of that is still true :/
I read all the Christmas letters and enjoy catching up with people. I condense them to "tell" my husband who rarely takes the time to read them but likes short updates. I'll stop sending you vacation getaway ideas. Just being together and doing something fun is wonderful. I had grey hairs in my 30's and just decided it was simpler to let them come. My husband agreed.

Popular posts from this blog

Resolving Everyday Conflict

The Hand of God

The Whole Truth