New Camper

Inevitably when two people marry, they discover that there are components of their lives which are irretrievably opposite. The hoarder marries the minimalist. The adventurer marries the bookworm. The extrovert marries the introvert. And so on. The whole premise of House Hunters on HGTV is based on this assumption. You know there will be a person who values "clean lines" (whatever that means), a modern, upscale apartment, and wants to live within walking distance to the downtown night life, while the other person has always dreamed of living in a sprawling ranch on a 27-acre-horse farm, light years away from any clean-lined metropolis. Compromise much? But I suppose the show (and marriage for that matter) would be boring if everybody always agreed about everything.

Josh loves to travel. I thought it was cute when he began watching Rick Steves' Europe shows on PBS, until I began to understand that he wanted to actually visit all those places too. I hate to fly, so while I admit it would be wonderful to see the Eiffel Tower or the Pyrenees Mountains or wave my hands out of a train through the Alps like they did in The Sound of Music, when it comes to choosing which all-night-8-hour flight I don't want, my knees always get weak and I slink off to read a book instead. I'd always prefer to stay home, but Josh has a need to explore, to travel.

And so how do we bridge the gap?

There is a mode of travel that appeals to me, and that is in an RV. Why? You take your own bathroom with you and you get to abide by your own schedule. You stay home while you travel. Win. Win. Do you need any more reason than that? Granted the downside is that it's awfully hard to get to Europe in an RV, but my answer to that is that I haven't even seen the beauties that this country has to offer yet, so first things first. Also, there are people all over this country that we would love to keep up relationships with and be an encouragement to if possible, and an RV could help us achieve that.

Over the last year we have been saving, thinking, and praying about whether we should buy an RV or just rent one if we want to take a trip, or if we just fly everywhere (deep breath, don't panic) and stay in hotels. I won't get into all the details that we have discussed because I'm already on day 2 of composing this post and nobody's got time for that! However, I will tell you that last Saturday we went to look at this:


It's a 2014 Coachmen Freelander with only 7,000 miles on it. We prayed about it for a couple of days, and by Monday we were still talking about it. We had decided that as far as we could tell it seemed to be God's will. Josh and I were in the office about to call Mark the seller to see if he still had the camper when, as we were talking, Mark himself texted us and offered it to us for $1,000 less if we bought it that day! And so we have a camper. We are so thankful to the Lord for giving us this blessing. We know that He is the source of all good gifts, and we are excited to see what He will do in our family as we try to use even this camper for His glory.

Would you like a tour? I thought you might. This will be a self-guided photo tour, because as much as I'd love to sit here and tell you all about every feature, I've got to go make the bed so we can go camping in it tomorrow night! EEEE!!!
















Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Resolving Everyday Conflict

The Hand of God

The Whole Truth