Seth's Questions


Look at that face! It's been a while since I took a picture of just Seth, or even since I have written a post about him.  I'm going to start with something that sounds kind of critical, but bear with me; I'm going somewhere with this.

Seth is now 5 and a half, and cannot count to 20 without making a mistake (he always says 14, 15, 16, 19, 20).  When he gets to a number like 40, he'll instead say "30-10." As in: 37, 38, 39, 30-10. (which actually shows me he gets the concept, but he can't remember that you make a new number: 30, 40, 50, etc). He does not know very many of the letters or their sounds.  He struggles to hold a pencil correctly.  He has a bear of a time trying to memorize anything. To think I will have to teach him to read makes me apprehensive. Understatement. 

However, the depth of the questions he asks shows me that he is a thinker, and he demonstrates that he is very smart in an outside-the-box kind of way. He's pretty contemplative, and we'll be riding in the car sort of silently on the way to school. Then he'll pipe up out of nowhere with something like this:

"Mommy, is God rich?"  That was a fun one to answer. We talked about the cattle on a thousand hills, and Psalm 24:1 "The earth is the Lord's and all it contains; the world and those who dwell in it."  I told him God owns the sun, the moon, and the stars too.  "Is the moon worth a lot of money?" he wanted to know.

Or here's one from supper last night.  We were all sitting around the table, probably talking about real estate--a popular topic around our table (wonder why?) and Pep suddenly pipes up:

"Mommy, what happens if you go to heaven and someone is holding on to you?"

The guy can't count to 20, but asks questions like these! He loves to ask about heaven and God.  One time he really alarmed me on the way home from school by stating that when he got home he was going to kill himself.  Wait, WHAT? I wondered frantically where I had gone wrong with him, and forced myself to ask in a very calm and mellow voice, "Why would you do that?"  To which he replied, "Because you have to die to go to heaven and I want to go to heaven today!"

I'm praying that I'll have wisdom when it comes time to teach him the academics. I think he has a really sharp mind, it's just channeling it to comprehend facts in a way that makes sense to him.

To be continued.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Resolving Everyday Conflict

The Hand of God

The Whole Truth