In the Weeds

Admittedly not the most flattering picture of anyone or anything, but you'll see why I chose it

The baby is fussing fitfully as I change her diaper, rubbing her eyes with the backs of her chubby, dimpled fists.  She's ready for a nap, if I can just get her changed.  I hear some sort of large liquid spill transpire in the dining room, and simultaneously a fight breaks out among the older two kids over whose fault it was.  My husband is in our bedroom, calling out to see if I know where any clean work shorts are because he's trying to leave like 5 minutes ago.  I glance up and catch a glimpse of myself in the mirror above the changing table; hair a mess, glasses on, no makeup, rocking the I've-been-up-for-three-hours-and-I-haven't-had-a-shower-yet look. And I need to use the bathroom.  I close my eyes and sigh. I'm in the weeds.

This may sound like hyperbole to you, but it's a reality more often than I'd like to admit.  I feel like so much of my life right now is about putting out the most urgent fire, and most of the time I don't even know which one that is. Nothing seems efficient.  Nothing fits neatly into my ready-made boxes on my OCD labeled shelves. My life is messy...

But I've been encouraged lately in my Bible reading, as I slog through the Old Testament.  Maybe "slog" is not the right word.  I just know that my peppy sounding "Read Your Bible Through In A Year" plan is turning out to be more like "Or Three Years." Anyway.  I like to try to make my life the most efficient it can be; multitasking as much as possible and finding ways to do more in less time. Barreling through life in a desperate race to get the most done. But is that really the point? Is that God's goal for me?  

Over and over I see in the books of the Law, direct commands of God that the people stop and celebrate Him for days at a time, or that they get up and leave camp when His cloud moved.  Have you ever stopped to consider that these commands were not efficient or convenient?  That the mother who just got her baby to sleep after a crazy long night of teething, might have to wake that baby again because it's time to load up and move to a new location? And that it was GOD'S PLAN?  And God knew every hair on that exhausted mom's head, and had grace ready at the asking for her.  I read in Numbers 29:1 about God commanding that a certain day "be to you a day for blowing trumpets."  I haven't had one of those in, well um, ever.  Maybe it's about time.

I spend my life trying to get out of the weeds in the most efficient manner possible, when I think sometimes God wants to remind me of Himself.  That He's there, and worth celebrating.  That His plan is best.  Because I can't get the baby down for a nap, clean up a spill, break up a fight, find the shorts, take a shower, and use the restroom all at the same time.  God knows that.  And God has grace for me, even In the Weeds.  Look up!

Comments

Susan Perna said…
Love this, and you, Joanna! Thanks for the reminder. ~Suze
Jen said…
Very well said, Jo! This is a wonderful time of faith-stretching! The weeds will diminish all too soon. :) I'm so glad the Who is bigger than our what. :) Love you!
Marmee said…
Reflection of God's Word in and through our daily life is the perfect way to deal with the "weeds". I find if I almost daily pull a few weeds in my garden I can keep it from being overtaken to the point of being overwhelmed. It is a season, take heart and be of good strength. One day you will long for just one day with your little ones, who will not be little any longer!

Popular posts from this blog

Resolving Everyday Conflict

The Hand of God

The Whole Truth