That "You Too?" Moment



I came across a quote by C.S.Lewis the other day:  “Friendship is born at that moment when one man says to another: "What! You too? I thought that no one but myself . . ."”

I love moments like that!  I experience them often when reading, and actually in my opinion, that is what makes a good book...well, good.  We have been reading aloud in the afternoons, The Trumpet of the Swan, by E. B. White.  I can still remember my second grade teacher (Hi, Mrs. Bogert!) reading that book aloud to my class, and I can remember not wanting her to ever stop.  Now, reading it to Noah is bringing up all my old fondness for the book.  

"To be all alone in a hotel room gives a person a cozy feeling and a feeling of importance." (p.134) When I came to that sentence, Noah tapped my arm and said, "Wait, wait, WAIT!  I know what he means!!  You do feel important in a hotel room!"  I would have to agree.  And there is something very satisfying when another person writes down exactly how you have always felt, but never put words to it before.  It's really just priceless.



Comments

Ruth said…
So glad you guys had a great trip (responding to previous posts). I read the kids Stuart Little and Charlotte's Web, but I haven't read this one yet. I need to do so this fall! There is just no end to the list of books I want to read to them! :) Did you finish reading all the Chronicles of Narnia to him? We read three of those thus far and then took a break to read some other books.

Popular posts from this blog

Resolving Everyday Conflict

The Hand of God

The Whole Truth