The Blessing of "Normal"

This past weekend I had the stomach flu.  What started out as a fun date with my husband quickly went south as halfway through our meal I began to realize that things were not going well for me and my stomach.  We returned home, where I promptly locked myself in the bathroom...and stayed there until morning.  There's a certain clarity that comes to you as you're lying there on the bathroom floor all night, pale and miserable; Normal Is Good.

Have you ever stopped to consider how often we take Normal for granted? That's even inaccurate.  We don't take Normal for granted; we complain about Normal.  Normal, everyday life, which is such a blessing from God; the fact that we are hungry, the work we have to do, the people we serve, the messes we clean up, the time we have or don't have--I have complained about all of it.

So I consider it a great blessing that, for 24 hours this past weekend, a lot of my "normal" life was taken away so that the Lord could remind me just how good I have it.  Praise the Lord for His grace and His kindness and the little lessons He teaches!

Comments

Ruth said…
The sad thing is that we often forget these lessons SO quickly. When I was having the spinal headache from the mistake the anesthesiologist made in my back, I was positive I would NEVER ever complain about a headache again because that one was five trillion times worse than any other headache I had ever experienced before, and yet I am sure I have complained about a "regular" headache since then. Sometimes we are hard on the Israelites and we are just like them!

Popular posts from this blog

Resolving Everyday Conflict

The Hand of God

The Whole Truth