Little Man Starts Preschool

I have several other things to post, but this one is so big that I wanted to make sure it got done even if none of the others do!


Whatta smile on Noah's face his first day of preschool! I don't think I ever wrote about our decision to put Noah in a formal preschool versus me teaching him at home. I plan to do that now, but first, more pictures!


I call this, "Aw, Mom, please don't make me turn around and show you my backpack!"


There are some things in life that make kids look cuter and smarter. A backpack is one of them. Just saying.


Which one of us is more excited? You decide.
Teaching is overwhelming to me. The thought of homeschooling, while it has its advantages, leaves me feeling as though I'm staring at the foot of a mountain which I must climb with no equipment. Yeah, "overwhelmed" pretty much describes it! In college, I was given the choice of changing my major to Art Education, but I think I almost broke out in hives at the thought. I'm just not the teacher type. That's not to say that I couldn't teach if I had to, just that if given the choice, I would choose not to. I'm more secretary material. Quiet. Office. Papers. That sort of thing.

Take tying shoes for example. I attempted to teach Noah to tie his shoes only to discover that I couldn't explain it! "You cross the laces like this, and then... and then.... here, let me just do it." But maybe that's just me.

Last year, I was mentally preparing to start homeschooling Noah for preschool this year, but Josh suggested we put Noah in a preschool. We heard about VPK (Voluntary Pre-Kindergarten) that is offered at many different schools, including many Christian schools, and decided to check it out. We found Seacoast Christian School a couple miles from our house, and after reviewing it and praying about it, we signed Noah up!

I'm not saying we're going to keep him in a school all the rest of the years, or that I will homeschool him...we simply haven't decided yet. If you think to pray for us, you could pray that the Lord gives us wisdom this year as we decide how we can best please Him; whether that means homeschooling or placing Noah in a school.

After the first week at school, I can already say that he loves it and so do I! If you haven't caught on yet, Noah is a very social child. He LOVES being around other kids. I LOVE having the mornings free to get things done. Now in the afternoons after his nap, I can actually play with him (novel concept!) instead of shooing him outside to play, since I've had all morning to accomplish my work. So far this week, we were able to do a scavenger hunt, paint, and play together in the afternoons, just Noah and me with no distractions.

School is great!

Comments

Carrie said…
That must be the reason you have been able to blog so much more too. Glad you both are enjoying it. I don't think I told you yet about orderimg all my homeschool this year only to get a call from a christian school here in Mt home, giving us half off the bill. The boys are in school this year, loving it and yet I may go back to homeschooling again next year. This year though I get to have some much needed abe and mommy time as well as a much quieter house. Our closing date got put back again and I can't blog till I get internet on our big computer...but when I do I will be back to the blogging world too. In case u have tried to call me I changed numbers my cell is 870-421-1278
Ruth said…
I love the pic of you and Noah! I hope he has a great year! Since I worked in Christian schools from 1992-2003, I'm a big fan even though I plan to homeschool mine.

Popular posts from this blog

Resolving Everyday Conflict

The Hand of God

The Whole Truth