The Eye Of the Beholder


Every now and then I love getting out the paints for Noah to use, but it's kind of rare I have to say. Because you can't just get out the paints; no! Then it's the towel to drape over the chair, the paper plate that stands in for a palette, the paintbrushes, the cup of water to rinse the brush, the newspaper to protect the table, the paper to paint on....

Next thing you know, it's a scene right out of If You Give a Mouse a Cookie. Exhausting, to say the least.

The other evening, at 5:04pm (classic supper-making-time), Noah decided he wanted to paint. I was up to my elbows in raw meatloaf (you've not lived til you've mixed your meatloaf with your bare hands!) at the time, and the thought of the whole production that we call painting just made me sigh. I suggested he draw instead. (Drawing requires just two resources--paper and pencils--instead of 27).

When he was done, he declared that he had drawn a picture of monkeys, and wanted to show me. As usual, I expected to see a jumble of unidentifiable squiggles and scribbles, which is very typical of his drawings, but surprise! For the first time ever, I was able to recognize his drawing for what it was. Now you look, and tell me; can you see the monkeys?




Comments

Ruth said…
Great picture! I wouldn't have guessed monkeys without reading your post, but I can tell that's a BIG improvement in his drawing skills. Way to go, Noah! Nadia is still in the scribble/circles and such stage. I'm looking forward to the day when she's at the stage Noah is at now. Oh and your post made me crave meatloaf. I almost never make it because Paul doesn't like it, but it's been years so I think it's time to have meatloaf again sometime soon. I can use the excuse of introducing Nadia to the food. :-)
tmomclark said…
Well, the one on the left certainly looks like Curious George to me.

Popular posts from this blog

Resolving Everyday Conflict

The Hand of God

The Whole Truth