The Element Of Surprise

Call me boring, but I was never a Gift Shaker. You know the type: the ones that shake their gifts or pat them down, trying to guess what is inside, and then smile triumphantly if they get it right. They think that guessing accurately the contents of presents intended for them is more fun than actually opening them! My husband is that type. This is one of his little quirks that is so endearing and irritating to me at the same time (we all have quirks like that). It has caused a lot of laughter in our household this season!

You see, by contrast, I never picked my gifts up or squeezed them, or went hunting through the closets in search of them. I didn't want to know. In fact, when I was six or seven years old, I accidentally stumbled upon a coloring book that was to be a Christmas present for me. At the time of course I thought it was thrilling to find out about it, until Christmas morning came and there was the coloring book, redundantly peeking out at me from my stocking like yesterday's news. Instead of being thrilled, I realized that the joy of surprise had escaped like air from a balloon. I have never in all my years since desired to know ahead of time what my gifts are to be. Surprise me.

In the weeks leading up to Christmas, Josh was dying to tell me what he got for me. Once, he caved and pulled out an item, the secret of it being too great for him to bear. :) I tried to plug my ears and shut my eyes, but there was no stopping him. He could not fathom my intense desire to keep everything a surprise, just as I could not fathom his inability to keep a secret. In any marriage, there are these areas. We balance each other for the better I think.

I try desperately to keep his gifts a secret, and he tries just as desperately to show me mine.

And we laugh a lot. :)

Comments

I am glad you were warm this Christmas! I was cold and it snowed in North Carolina! I was excited about the snow, but looked forward to getting back to where it was warm. =) Merry Christmas to you and your family!
I somehow when I was little would find the Christmas receipts and read them. Mom and dad had to finally hide them from me...I also sneaked under the tree when mom and dad weren't looking and shook all my gifts are carefully would peel the paper away...

Popular posts from this blog

Resolving Everyday Conflict

The Hand of God

The Whole Truth