Outside the Box

My little Seth. My outside-the-box thinker. I have to write about 2 things that happened in school with him recently:

His online class teacher, Mrs. Lawson, was talking about the weather and how we dress differently depending on what the temperature and weather are. The point was to show all the variety of clothing choices and how to choose appropriate ones. She said that she was going to go on a hike, and came prepared with all of the things she would need, whatever the weather was going to be. She cheerily hefted her big bag onto the table and began to sift through the contents, holding up first one thing, then another and talking about each one.

"Here are my gloves in case it gets cold, and here is my coat. Oh! I also have sunglasses in case it's really sunny, and an umbrella with me in case it rains..."

At this point, Pep rolled his eyes, and said, "Mom, she just needs an Alexa! Then she wouldn't have to bring all that stuff!"

Ba-dum-bum.


Later that day, his worksheet was trying to get him to think through what temperature different things are likely to be. It had pictures of a hot day, or a cold day, and then a section with some objects.  At first I was dismayed when he seemed to be marking the answers incorrectly. He had marked under a picture of a mug of hot chocolate, 30 degrees. And under a picture of an ice cream cone, he had marked 80 degrees.

"No, Seth, I think you need to look more closely. That's a cup of HOT chocolate there, and you know ice cream isn't hot!"

"But Mom, you drink hot chocolate when it's 30 degrees! And you want ice cream when it's 80 degrees!"

I let him keep his answers; I could see his point!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Resolving Everyday Conflict

The Hand of God

The Whole Truth