Legoland




Josh and I took the kids to Legoland for two days earlier this month. Let me relive some of the highlights here, and I'll be sure to do it in list format because, well, it makes me happy.

1. The Timing. This trip couldn't have been at a better time.  For the last couple of months, Josh and I had both been eyeing the exit to normal responsibilities. School got ya down? Tenants and projects galore? Time for a short vacay! We would love to get away in an RV, but we don't actually own one, so that makes it a challenge.  Renting an RV is as expensive as a hotel and way more hassle (because you have to bring your own e.ver.y.thing), so might as well stay in a hotel. We saw an online ad for 2 days at Legoland with lodging at Legoland's Beach Retreat (no actual beach though!) for a very reasonable price (kids were free!), and decided to go for it.

2. The Distance.  Legoland is south of Orlando, so by van it took us a little over 3 hours. Just long enough where we felt like we actually got away, but close enough to make it bearable with a 2 1/2 year old. Sidenote: I feel like I have been travelling with someone this age for years. We can't quite get ourselves out of this stage. Potty training on-the-road, anyone?

3. No Crowds! Maybe it was the week/days we chose (Tues-Thurs April 9-11), but there were no lines for anything! We got on any ride we chose pretty much right away. For someone like me, who likes people very much in one-on-one encounters but not so much in crowds, it was perfect!

4. The Weather. April is the time to be in Florida. The humidity hasn't descended like a thick wet blanket yet, and the temperatures are comfortable. The Lord gave us perfect weather! You won't catch me trying to do Legoland in July or August.

5.  The Rides.  Should I be concerned that my sense of adventure caps out at a children's amusement park? That I thought CoasterSaurus was the best roller coaster ever? That I wouldn't want to ride anything more thrilling than this, even though Josh rated it about a 4 on an excitement scale of 1-10? These rides were perfect for kids aged 4-12. There were still enough rides for Eden to go on, but she was definitely limited because of her height.

6.  The Theme. Legos. We must own about 1.3 million Lego bricks and pieces, all of which I have stepped on at least once. Ha! They are probably our kids' favorite inside toy. Imagine their excitement to see a fantasy land devoted to Legos. They loved it!!

7.  Our Room. As I mentioned before, we stayed at Legoland's Beach Retreat. It's a charming layout of little duplexes overlooking a lake. Each grouping has its own playground and a pretty view of the water.  There were legos in the room for the kids to play with, and a designated kids' sleeping area with a bunk bed and a trundle. Each room had a front porch and table/chairs. They were really cute rooms and we loved that they were ground-floor private entry, rather than being in a high-rise hotel. There was a free breakfast buffet, boasting kid-friendly food (hello, sugar!), but they also had sensible things like eggs and oatmeal too. And coffee.

8. The Exhibits. I was astounded at how many things can be made out of Legos. Entire cities! Life-size Star Wars characters (not that I'm into that, but I'm sure some people are!). Mail boxes, animals, people, signs, full-size Adirondack chairs (!), there were sooo many things made out of Legos. I loved seeing all that creativity. I told Josh that if we ever fall on hard times, I could see myself working for Legoland building their sculptures. It must be painstakingly methodical work. I would. Love. That.

9.  The Photos. We took an uncharacteristic ton of photos, thanks to Noah! He had promised Grammy that he would take lots of pictures, and he delivered. I'll include a few of them here, and hopefully one video.  Enjoy!





















Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Resolving Everyday Conflict

The Hand of God

The Whole Truth