Gasp!

I have crossed over into the modern age, I guess.  I finally caved in to my husband's pressure and got a smart phone!  I always maintained that I would never own one.  I loathe seeing people sit around in the presence of other people, everyone ignoring everyone, everyone engrossed so deeply in their own phones that they pay no attention to the people around them.  I see this in restaurants--a family out to eat at Ruby Tuesday, each member silently absorbed in his own personal device.  And don't get me started on kids with cell phones. *rolls eyes*

However.

I have recently come to the realization that, used correctly, I could actually be a lot more friendly with a smart phone.  Like when my friends text me a link to something and I can't open it on my regular cell phone.  I then have to take the phone over to my computer and manually type in the web address, hoping I get every jot and tittle in the correct order.  Not happening. So I'm not opening whatever they thought I would enjoy reading, meaning I can't respond to it. "Hey, did you get that article I sent you?"  "Yes, but I couldn't take the time to open it."  Awkward Silence.  What do you do with that?

A few weeks ago I was in a doctor's office, needing to remember the address of my Publix pharmacy.  The nurse suggested I look it up on my phone.  "Oh, I don't have a smart phone," I said.  I might as well have announced that I come from another planet.

Or how about when someone tells me something that I need to remember, like the name of a really great book I ought to read to my kids, and I can't find a scrap of paper or a pen anywhere.  Those memo apps can come in really handy in times like those.

And when my kids do something cute, and I go to grab my camera...  wait, WHERE IS MY CAMERA? Finally I find it, and now the cuteness has long ceased and they are now fighting.  Way to miss the moment, mom!  I am overjoyed that the camera on my smartphone takes better pictures than my point-and-shoot, and if I have my phone, I by default also have my camera.  Case in point:


Why didn't I do this sooner?

Comments

Carrie Bennett said…
Welcome to the 20th century! But now we expect a whole lot more of those cute photos!!! Text me anytime!

Popular posts from this blog

Resolving Everyday Conflict

The Hand of God

The Whole Truth