Thanksgiving in July


I have been re-reading One Thousand Gifts, by Ann Voskamp (a must-read!) and am being reminded to give thanks in everything and for everything, that thanksgiving always precedes the miracle of living life fully satisfied with God.  Then in my Bible reading just this morning, I saw it for myself: the miracle.  "So I will bless You as long as I live; I will lift up my hands in Your name.  My soul is satisfied as with marrow and fatness, and my mouth offers praises with joyful lips." Psalm 63:4-5  Giving thanks to God satisfies our souls!  Are you looking for satisfaction like I am?  A filling up to the brim, and overflowing with joy?  Honestly, too often I turn to chocolate or brownies or coffee to satisfy my soul (which doesn't work, by the way), when what my soul craves is more God.  Then did you see it?  "My soul is satisfied as with marrow and fatness..."  There is nothing like God to fill up the empty holes, and there is nothing like giving thanks to usher me into His presence.

And so today I am trying to see God in the details of my life and give thanks for things I don't even understand.  Like why, for instance, during the most tiring week of the year (it's VBS, folks!), Seth has given up napping again?  He needs it, I need it. I have to thank God anyway.  He is working His perfect will!  So, thank you, Lord!

My body has been revolting against me for the last year plus some.  I won't share the details here (you're welcome), and even that is one of my frustrations as a result of this trial.  I have no one to turn to, no one who understands, no one who I can even explain some of these things to.  I went to a doctor in May, but he didn't take me seriously. "Go have a milkshake," he said.  I'm not kidding. That priceless piece of advice cost me $200.  I have, like Paul, asked that the Lord heal me or take these problems away, but I think His answer for me is the same as it was for Paul: "My grace is sufficient for you, for power is perfected in weakness." 2 Cor 12:9  So, give thanks in everything, right?  The hardest things to be thankful for are those unpleasant things for which you have no explanation.  You can't solve them yourself, you just have to trust yourself to the One who knows you best.  God made me, and none of these baffling issues are taking God by surprise, and He has put them into my life for a very good reason.  He's probably trying to work patience in me (James 1), which I definitely need.  Thank you, Lord!

We would love to have more children.  It's an honest heart ache over this.  The Lord has not allowed it, and meanwhile I watch my friends and family members effortlessly expand their families. Plan for it even, as if they're ordering dinner from a menu. And it happens for them!  I cannot imagine...  I'm about to be 35 next month. And the Lord knows all of this too.  In this, I thank the Lord for His plan, which He promises me is perfect (Ps 18:30), I thank Him for the thoughts He thinks toward me, which He promises are more in number than I can count (Ps 40:5)!

But there are the more obvious blessings, too.  The ones that are easy to give thanks for, things like:
air conditioning in 100 degree heat
my Bible
my family
all of my needs met abundantly
God makes no mistakes
freedom to home school
and many, many more.  The gifts go on and on!

Thank you, Lord!






Comments

Ruth said…
I will be praying for Seth to take more naps and for your body to return to some normalcy.
Carrie Bennett said…
So glad you are giving thanks despite your trials. I miss being close enough to you to see and talk with you often - so I could know these things. Thankfully we are just here in this world for a short time so we can count it as "light affliction" compared to eternity. I'm sure its still not easy but even in this God can use this for His glory and your testimony helps others. Prayers and Hugs!

Popular posts from this blog

Resolving Everyday Conflict

The Hand of God

The Whole Truth