Parenting Trial and Prayer Request

The 365 Project has been good for me.  It forces me to remember my camera and to take pictures of the rapidly fleeting moments that make up our lives.  However, one thing I have noticed is that it takes away from the writing about our lives, which is also important.  With a focus on only the moments you photographed (ie: the highlights of life--because who photographs the hard times?), I find I don't get an accurate representation of the year going by.  So I thought I'd write a little about the challenges of parenting that we're presently facing in our lives, just to keep it real.

Take Noah for example.  (While I normally shy away from showing everyone's true colors, I think I would do myself a disservice if I look back on this time of our lives and think everything was rosy.  It's not.)  Here is a child who, once upon a time, was the happiest guy I knew.  He smiled at everybody, never met a stranger, and charmed everyone he met.  Fast forward 5 years, and we now have a moody, sullen, I'll-ignore-you-if-I-want-to kind of kid on our hands.  What. Happened?  We have also noticed a shift in disobedience from the black and white "he-touched-it-after-we-told-him-not-to" variety, to the gray "did-he-just-lie-to-get-out-of-doing-work?" kind.  The first kind is comparatively easy to correct.  The second is not.  And when we do discipline, there is zero brokenness of spirit over the wrong committed; only pride, excuses, and anger.  How this grieves our hearts!  And so on Sundays, when he quotes his Bible memory verse for the week, it rings very hollow to us who know those verses are having no impact on his life.  Noah claims to be saved, but we simply see no evidence of a heart that knows its own sinfulness, is repulsed by it, and clings to the grace of God for the righteousness that only Christ can give.  Josh and I have been driven to our knees, begging God for wisdom to get to Noah's heart.  Until we do, we are only poorly addressing the outward manifestations of a heart bent on going his own way.  Prayers for us would really be appreciated!  We were going to mention this at our Wednesday evening service at church, but this request seemed glaringly vulnerable and embarrassingly personal in the company of all the cancer and travel requests.  May God give us grace to handle this trial in a way that would bring glory to Him!



Comments

Carrie said…
I too have a child who makes us wonder if he is truly saved at times but yet knows what is right (head not heart affected). BUT it takes time and when I take the time in teaching him and showing him the sin, and how it affects God us and him he becomes broken (not always the first or second time). I also have had to check myself and make sure I am modeling a person who needs and asks for forgiveness when I have sinned. And then about asking prayer for it - church prayer time has often become physical need based but God is most concerned with hearts - salvation needs, bitterness, anger, worldliness, pride and they should be shared and encouraged and you may in your humble brokenness allow others to see they too need the body of Christ to lift them and their family needs up to the Lord. I'll be praying!
Ruth said…
I'll be praying, Jo. I agree with what Carrie said about prayer requests shared in public settings. they're usually limited to jobs, physical illness, etc, but when we see Paul's prayers in the NT, his were almost exclusively about spiritual growth.
Laura said…
Joanna,
I hesitate to make any comment since my parenting experience is years behind you. But when I read your post the Holy Spirit placed a thought in my head... don't underestimate the influence of peers at school (or even at church)on Noah's attitude. Little people are sponges. Kids will be like who they spend the most time with. This spring when Jeremy's family came to visit the transformation in the kids after a week was amazing. They arrived whining, hyper, disgruntled, blatantly disobedient, etc. but after spending a week one-on-one with their parents and *adults* they were pleasant, happy, helpful, calm, etc. They were like completely different children. Back to school and back to the old attitudes.

I will be diligently praying for you, Josh, and Noah!

Love & Blessings,
Laura
(P.S. Feel free not to post this... just wanted to put the thought out there to you.)
Unknown said…
We had some kids that kept us praying too! That was good for us and for them! God answered many a prayer and we are thankful to Him for His working in our kids lives. Keep praying and teaching and we'll be doing the same for you.
cj and family said…
Praying for you ♥ God DOES hear and DOES answer.

Popular posts from this blog

Resolving Everyday Conflict

The Hand of God

The Whole Truth