Welcome!



My gift is not hospitality.  It does not come naturally to me to invite people into my home and share what I have with them, especially on short notice.

I realize this acutely on a Sunday morning during church when my husband whispers to me after the first song, "What are you planning for lunch?"
"Nothing," I say, which isn't entirely true.  For a scavenger we have plenty!  In the fridge, we have half my leftover dinner from going to Ruby Tuesday's last night, some ham and cheese, even peanut butter and jelly for those of us who want to go all out.  Right. So in other words, "nothing."  
"Because I want to invite so-and-so over for lunch today," Josh continues.


Immediately vivid-colored snapshots of our house in its current condition begin flashing through my mind.  Our bed, unmade with pillows everywhere (thanks to my growing belly and my increasing need for pillows).  Clothes strewn around the floor as the result of wardrobe crises that morning (does this make me look fat?). My mop bucket, complete with mop and yesterday's mop water leaning against a wall in the kitchen.  Breakfast dishes, not in the sink where they at least would be excusable, but still on the breakfast table in all their dirty glory.  Rubber bands all over the living room from Noah's latest rubber-band-gun blitz (why, yes, they make guns that shoot rubber bands.  I didn't know that either!).  You get the picture.  And to boot, we had no food with which to come up with a coherent meal for 5 people in 30 minutes or less (because who wants to go to someone's house for lunch and have to wait an hour or more to eat?).  


"I don't think so," I whisper back as sweetly, but as firmly as I can.  "Cracker Barrel, maybe, but they CAN'T come to our HOUSE! Please!" begging now.


We went to Cracker Barrel, and had a great time.  But all the while I was being admonished by my conscience and the recent memory of a book which Jen gave me, A Life That Says Welcome, by Karen Ehman.  Excellent book, by the way; a must-read for any lady especially.  There is an entire chapter titled, "Sure! Stay for Supper!" which obviously, I must now go and re-read.


Next week.  Next week, even if we don't have anyone over, with God's help, I want to be ready anyway!  At the very least, our own family will have a clean house to come home to and a hot meal coming right up.  What a blessing that would be and a departure from the normal.


With God's help, I want to say, "Welcome!" and mean it. :)



Comments

cj and family said…
Crockpots are a WONDERFUL blessing for Sundays. I like to keep Sundays as low-key as possible, but still have a nice meal, so we have four simple, tasty slow-cooker meals which we rotate through each month.

Popular posts from this blog

Resolving Everyday Conflict

The Hand of God

The Whole Truth